First question as a new owner of a D300!

Rene11664880918

Hello forum!

I am one of you now! Anyway, I haven't touched my D300 yet coz I'm afraid of leaving print marks on it! :)

Right now I just need to know where I load the film into the camera????? :) Oops! Wrong question!

Really, AGAIN, I need to know where I can download an PRINTABLE English PDF file of the D300 manual. It

was the same when I bought my D80, after I have expended several thousands of Dollars in Nikon

equipment, Nikon CAN'T afford to send me an English manual, they want me to send them first the

Japanese one that came with the camera. Also I looked in Amazon Japan for Magic Lantern Guides: Nikon

D300 but they are just taking orders coz they don't have it yet.

Nikon USA lets me to download the manual in PDF but because the serial number of the camera is not a

USA serial number they won't let me print it! What? Do they think I will print it without a reason? Maybe to

sale it? Incredible!

Second question.... I couldn't find the hot shoe cover inside the box. My D80 had one. Is the D300 supposed to come with it?

Thanks in advance!

Rene'

Hi, Rene',

congrats on your purchase of D300!

First of all, you cannot load the film into the camera. Even if you could, you won't be able to rewind it.

As for the English manual, I'm afraid I couldn't find any download site on the Internet. In Tokyo, you would be able to get one at Nikon service center... Sorry about that.

As for the hotshoe cover, it is not listed as accompanying item for D300 (or D80). Do you mean eyepiece cap?

You asked about "Map shop in Shibuya". Do you mean "Map Camera in Shinjuku"? If so, I would always check the price there along with that at Sanpou Camera because they offer similarly low prices. In addition, Map Camera often offers good conditions for trade-in. Last week I purchased 17-55/2.8 zoom for 157,800 yen. I traded-in with 18-70 zoom and Ai-s 28/2.0. That was a good deal although my new 17-55 turned out to be a little near-sighted and it is in the repair center of Nikon now. :(

Akira-san.... I bought 100 rolls of film! Man! :)

Thank you for looking! I already called Nikon but as I said, they want the Japanese manual.

The problem is when the times come to give the D300 as a shitadori any japanese

costumer will want a Japanese manual, right? So I don't wanna send mine.

And YES! I meant Map Camera in Shinjiku, NOT Shibuya. I bought my 17-55 there too (12

man En used, mint condition) among many other things. Honestly, they have the best

prices I can find. Anyway, my local store gave 2000 Yen discount over Map camera! I'm

Happy. Also AGAIN, he didn't stamp the warranty card! That is really good if I have a

problem 13 months after the purchase! i got everything, battery pack and the remote

cable. This camera is intimidating! But so far every thing I touch makes me go WOW! :)

Anyway, thank you! I'm sure any other member will show up and help me. Last time I

downloaded the printable English manual from Nikon UK but now the web site is not

working. Talk to you soon!

Rene, I hope you enjoy your D300 as much as I enjoy mine. It is really outstanding.

Unless you are fluent in Japanese, I would take up Nikon's offer and return that manual for an English version. In the meantime, you can use the PDF.

As for the hot shoe cover, I know exactly what you are saying. Yes, it was included with the D80 but not with the D300. I have no idea why. It is a simple piece of plastic designed to protect the contacts. You would think they would include it with all DSLR bodies. Maybe you can pick up one locally.

Oooh Rene'.... you are making me drool at work and that is just not in keeping with my ice-cool persona :-)

D300 - camera that I most covet

17-55/2.8 - lens that I most desire and haven't yet got

Shinjuku (and Tokyo in general) - my absolutely favourite place to go escape from Australia for a few days. Armed with your new gear I'd be on the train and off to Kamakura in a flash!

Enjoy.

Hi Rene'

Your story reminds me mine when last year I was in Japan buying my D200 and also I was lucky that people from this site helped me, specially Akira san.

I got my camera in Bic Camera located at Akihabara, the big building. What I did was exchanging the Japanese manual for the English one right there with no extra cost. Probably the one for D300 in Eng was not available.

I wish the D300 or at least news about a near future release were available last March 2007 but ... And now guess what... I'm considering upgrading my D200 for a D300 but this time I have no time to go to Akihabara, due to there is not yet any Shinkansen running from Mexico city to Tokyo yet :-)). I hope I have the chance to go to NY or any other US city in order to get a decent price.

Enjoy your new toy !