New to Wedding Photography, Pointers would be Helpful!

sudol

When is the wedding? Where will the wedding take place? How many people, and how long is the entire wedding? Lighting conditions?

"Spending a ridiculous amount of money on a photographer doesn't exist because these people don't have that kind of money." Rethink this comment...

You can save youself a lot of time and effort by everyone chipping in for a photographer; hiring someone with more experience, advertising on Craigslist.com. $300 perhaps. Then you can enjoy the wedding and take a bunch of shots yourself and still be free of worries that it's not your job! Have a few drinks at the reception.

I NEVER take wedding shots for close friends. I find it wonderful being asked to go and the camera stays home!

But if you decide to be the offical photographer, well go for it! This is what I do from the past and a few new ones starting just this year, as of January, 2008

Something New... I avoided going to the rehearsal dinners like the plague. In 20 years I never went to a single rehearsal party. God the 5 or more hours wasted on a Friday night! Well in January after many hours of deliberation with stepping into a new idea, I went to the first one in January and I'm going to my 7th one this coming Friday. Why, after 20 years, would a sane, well somewhat sane person make a bold move like this. It's actually nice! You get together with the families and the very important friends and I ask all of them what special photos would each of you like me to take tomorow? Almost everyone has a request.

Next day, at the wedding you hear comments like hey, there's Bob. Then you are really part of the family and knows for sure what extra special shots the bride and groom want, but also everyone at the rehearsal party knows me and knows I will get that special requested photo.

In a short time doing this I found out someone else was getting married, booked them already, doing a family portrait and a 60th Birthday party this Saturday.

So go to the rehearsal dinner. It will surely help.

Along with the rehearsal meet and get a good list of the shots the bride and groom wants, suggest best friends to college buddies to co-workers.

Do every possible family portrait arrangement. Mom, dad, grandparents, step mom step dad, all of the brothers and sisters. Great grandparents, god parents. Do this as one huge group. Then slowly take out people leaving you with just the bride and groom left. Then take the wedding party shots, girls together, guys together, then everyone.

Based on lack of time, then finish up with romantic shots of the couple.

At the reception work with the DJ. Ask him to tell you when something is coming up, like the first dance, parent dance, and so on. The key is to let the DJ know that if he can't see you or find you, nothing will happen.

Lastly if you can pop in to a few weddings, uninvited, sit well dressed somewhere in the church, towards the back and observe a few pro's in action.

I'll tell you now if the bride has a train, they can be frustrating. You have to drop your camera gear down, unhook the battery pack, and set the train. You get back to your place to take the shot and she's already moved! Just as you walk away it's totally messed up! Well for your first wedding ask one of the other bridesmaids to help you. If the bride asks you if her makeup and lipstick looks good tell her she needs to be freshened up. Guys don't know this! THIS is a trick question! If you say no, they say my lips look bad in the photos! Then have a bridesmaid look! If the ask, they need it!

As ever, a wide range of answers and lots of good info. I'll try not to repeat what's been said. Since it seems your shooting of the wedding is a done deal, focus (no pun intended ;)) on getting totally to grips with your gear. Try and get (borrow/rent a second body (preferably another D80) as a backup for the day. Spare batteries, etc. And duct tape (seriously!)

<p>Dragging the shutter is definitely something you should work on learning (links already provided by Nadine), preferrably at the venues and at the same time as the events will be, so you can check out the light quality. Make lots of notes on what settings you used.

<p>Try and avoid the automatic modes on your camera if you can. Manual mode gives you a more repeatable (and therefore more predictable) output. I personally much favour Joe Demb's flash diffuser products over the Fong products. Far cheaper, more versatile and lighter (so it doesn't cause your SB600 to inadvertently tilt to an odd angle ;)

<p>Practice not only to get settings right, but to build the confidence which is so crucial to all photography, especially weddings, where the couple can tell if you're nervous (and become nervous themselves as a result)

<p>There are plenty of great wedding photographers whose work can inspire you, so google at will :)

<p>Finally, on the day, have a blast!

Mike...good luck as you are in for one hell of a day!! Wedding photography is not for the faint hearted :)

However your halloween pictures are great. In terms of the technique. I would no-way use a D80 for a wedding, and would need lenses which were fast...and also use nothing lower than the sb800 for it's wireless capabilites. But then I'm a professional and charge a great deal of money.

So what you need is a solid work-flow...so if you need one here goes.

Bride getting ready.

[shots with mum...dad...bridesmaids...informal and just caught in the moment.]

Pics of dress...and shoes...and other still life type bits.

Shots of bride in dress. Use F2.8 or lower for soft focus.

REMEMBER TO GET PICS OF DETAILS: flowers...hair...holding hands...shoes...seating plan...car...church...venue... so - on.

Shots of groom and best man/ushers etc. Lots of different set up poses.

Bride arriving at church [or church type venue].

Walking down isle with dad...pic of groom looking at bride as she enters [look for emotion].

Wedding service done at back with no flash. Get the whole venue in and some tight in photos.

Signing the register.

Coming out of venue together

Get free pics of them being congratualted.

Then get some set up pics of them together [just them] nice emotional...loving pics.

Then some groups...bride groom with "whoever".

Ding dang do...a few things to remember...

3 principles to this are

You work in this way...Wide, mid, and close up. So get wide shots of everything...mid shots with points of interest but no clutter...and then tight close up pics of details [with a small sense of focus...f2.8 or f1.4 depending on your lens].

Hope this helps..and if you follow this flow you can't go wrong ;)

Good luck