Shooting Seniors without School Contracts

Lifetouch is a well managed, hugely successful, mass marketingfirm in all 50 state, and they cater largely to schools and churches, though not exclusively, and have done so for about 70 years. If they have a school tied up on contract, there's nothing to prevent you from seeking to gain students through any legitimate means of advertising or promotion. OF COURSELifetime will try to block or thwart you....why not? But any individual senior or other student is free to have you shoot their portrait privately. YOUR trick is to gain clients and to be able to produce results equal to or better than Lifetouch, AND for the same or less money. If you feel you're not up to the task, I suggest you seek greener pastures.

Do you have a local newspaper? Does your local area have any beauty contests? If you can 'show a sample or two' of your work, you are on your way to find new assignments.

But you have to work at it.

Put up a website with innocuous news items about the school (or schools). If the sports events are open to the public, attend them and get great shots of the athletes. Find a student who wasn't let into the school paper to write articles about the events. Post the articles and the pictures on the website. Use the website to publicise your business. If the images were taken of a public sporting event and the article was done in a journalistic fashion, then the website is legally a legitimate news organ. Also, trade some of the better-looking students at the school free portrait sessions in exchange for doing an article on their experiences getting their picture shot by you (model release required for this).

Alternatively, there could already be a popular underground/counterculture website for the school. See if they will let you buy an ad. Don't "sponsor" the website, as you don't want to be responsible for any trouble that they might stir up, but an advertiser is relatively immune to such problems.

Happy shooting. -BC-

The way that I "broke into the senior photo market" was to first round up a few seniors I knew-in my neighborhood, church, etc. I gave them a discount on their packages in exchange for a little advertising- my studio name and information stamped on the back of each print. Also had business cards made up with one of their photos on it (moms love to give those out). Pretty soon, I had their friends and their friend's friends....you get the picture. Now Im booked up a month in advance and seniors make up 75% of my clientel. (ironically they are the subjects I least prefer to do--so snotty at that age!) Oh and one more idea. For a small fee you can advertise in the year books of the schools in your area's. Good luck!--Amber

• 2 weeks later...
Check into buying mailing lists of households with students ages 16-18 in the home. Companies that prepare the mialing list will usually compile addresses based on households within a range fo zip codes you specify. Then do a direct mailing campaign with a custom post card and some type of incentive. Besides word of mouth, direct mail is a great way to get started.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think that would be legal. A contract signed by the school can't hold a student to a certain photographer. If you're talking about the pictures used for the yearbook, I suppose the school could restrict that to uphold their end of the contract. But as for individual pictures that kids hand out to one another, the school's contract couldn't limit that.