Sony A700 vs Canon 40D

Ok here is were i need the experts. I can buy the Canon 40D for $419.00 or i

can buy the Sony A700 for $819.00 would the Sony be worth the extra $400.00. I

had been leaning towards the Sony because of the high def. screen and the way

it feels, until i found these prices so now i don't know anymore. I could buy

the Canon 40D and a Tamron zome lens for about the same as the Sony body. Any

help or direction would be really apreiciated. Thanks for your time.

Get what you really want (the Sony). Especially if it feels better in your hands. This is not a hobby to cut corners on - you will only regret it later. If you cant afford the $400, look at a Point and Shoot, becuase getting your dslr body and lens is only the beginning....;)

(additional lenses, filters, tripod, seperate flash, etc. all await you if you really get into photography. It is not an inexpensive sport!

[[Wait. A 40D for $419? You mean a Canon 400D (XTI) right?]]

I think Craig means: "I'm going to get ripped off from a bait-and-switch store regardless of which camera I try to buy."

Craig, the prices for both your cameras are way off base. You will end up with either 1) no money and no camera or 2) the camera for way more than what you think you're going to spend because the store is a scam.

I should have added: if you want to see the real price of these cameras, go to bhphotovideo.com. That is the price you need to pay because thats the lowest price from a legitimate seller. Anyone selling for more than a few dollars less than that price is a store that will rip you off.

Do not believe a single price you see on ShopCartUSA.com. This site is a front for the very stores that will rip you off.

I was sort of shocked when i saw the low prices but when there are four differnt stores offering the same price i wonder how they all can rip people off and stay in buisness.How can i find the lowest price and still not get ripped off? I guess my local store isn't that far off with there pricing but i still think there way off base because they are the only store in town.

those 4 "stores" were probably all the same company with 4 different fronts.

If you want to buy online: bhphotovideo.com, amazon.com, adorama.com, buydig.com in no particular order.

If you want to see if a store is a bait-and-switch shop go to resellerratings.com and use the "store ratings" search.

Craig -- Be cautious. Check resellerratings.com as Rob recommends, and also have a look at the <a href=http://www.photo.net/neighbor/subcategory-index?id=2>store reviews on photo.net</a>.<p>

As to the cameras, once you do have a sense of the 'real' price you'll be able to make a reasoned assessment. Both are capable of making superb photos. And I would say "the way it feels" (as you note in your post) should be a significant part of the decision.<p>

Once you find a genuine price for the camera you want, I see no harm in asking your local camera shop to be competitive on price. Worst they can say is "no."<p>

Remember also that if you're relatively new to this, it sure is convenient to have a place to stop in, ask questions, get recommendations, show a photo of yours to a pro and have him/her help you figure out why that one "just didn't come out." That's worth something, too.<p>

Good luck.

Jerry >> Here are the places i found that were and are so tempting. this is for the (SONY A7oo)...Best Price Camera-$819.00, Razz Photo-$799.00, Express Cameras-$819.00, Camera Addict-$940.00, Brodway Photo-customer certified-$991.00, Expecam-$819.00, Photo Connection-$1029.00 These are for the (Canon 40D)... Brodway Photo-$833.00, Camera Addict-$689.00, Express Camera-$419.00, Best Price Camera-$419.00, Expecam-$419.00, Photo Connection-$929.00

there was a thread somewhere on Flickr about counterfeit Canon Cameras and counterfeit Sandisk CF card. There were also cheap online shops that sold body only deals that were only the body (no batteries charger etc)and if you wanted buy their deal online you had to buy all the other things that would normally come with the camera as well.