Beware of fakes

Brian

<P>I saw this camera on eBay, and to be fair (?) the dealer says it's a Leica

copy. But what's to stop the buyer passing it off as a real one?</P><P>Answers

on a postcard please.</P><P>And I know I'm using the pic without permission, but

I somehow don't feel the dealer has much to complain about.</P><div>00OM8M-41624484.jpg.43f8884c53476874dbce6affaf024ea6.jpg</div>

Brian, there is a steady supply of Leica copies on the auction site. Almost all of them are identified as copies. Most come much closer that this one to looking like a real Leica, differing only in details that call for a practiced eye to spot. There is nothing wrong with this in principle, as long as they are identified as copies; some people actually collect Leica copies. The two most prolific sources are Fed and Zorki, in the former Soviet Union. Sometimes the copies are reworked to look as close to a Leica as possible, and passed off as if they were real. This, of course, is unethical. The most copied model is probably the Leica II.

Actually, I find many of these to be entertaining - I've seen much wackier engraving and color

jobs than this (and for the record, the palettes of some of Solms' commemoratives were a

little wacked-out as well - red alligator and gold, egad!)

The only copy of an M Leica out there is actually worth MORE than most real M's (Chinese "Red

Flag" M4 copy from the early 70's) - but screw-mount seekers should learn the relative

simple obvious giveaways so they know what they are getting.

<<what's to stop the buyer passing it off as a real one?>>

The fact that it doesn't look or feel or smell like any Leica that has ever been made. Having

said that, I'm not sniffy about these Russian copies because my first 'proper' camera, bought

when I was about 15, was a FED 4L, and it was very good value.

Jeepers; my chrome Fed 5B with its Industar-61 55mm F2.8 suddenly is worth more! The accessory shoe on mine doesnt have that extra cuttout thats toward the shutter knob. On re-painted camera bodies like this gem many times the PC socket or shoe is abit dead; they leave paint that covers the brass contact that touches the top plate were the PC/show is attached. These oddballs are abit funny; sometimes they have engravings from Russian generals; german miltary markings; alot of goofy stuff. Almost never will they show the roller cam area on the camera body since few fakes are retrofitted with an actual roller. Most fakes are the older Feds and Zorkis. The lens code on my Fed 5B here is abit new; its built in 1991.

The FED 5B has of course no roller cam like a real Lieca. It also has the camera nameplate that sticks out about 1/8 inch; and thus larger diameter lenses sometimes foul and will not seat on the LTM flange. The body is abit tall for a LTM body; like my Epson RD-1. Both of mine have 1/4-20 tripod sockets. The FED 5B's case leather camera case actually holds the Epson RD-1 with some bulling; and sometimes is used to hold the RD-1. The tripod screw is slight forward on the RD-1 compared to the FED 5B.

---Is it possible that only the top cover is fake?---

No. The body has all the earmarks of a Fed 3,4,or 5 series chassis.

Seems like an awful lot of work for something that is an admitted fake. Never any mention as to the condition of the insides

A reworked Fed 3 or Zorki 6 in black is a cool looking piece of machinery though. Fed 5's tend to be less reliable than any of their predecessors. They tend to be regarded as rear caps for the very good Industar 61. The whole rig goes on the bay for pennies.

It think it's funny. Passing off Early Zorkies and Feds as genuine Leicas seems to have been common. But this is so obviously fake, no one will take it seriously. It's hideous too.

I would like to have one of those over the top fakes mind, a 'real' Luxus for example, or a 'Kriegmarine' in hammertone paint. Garish but fun.