First Foray into Medium Format - RB67, many questions

michael_sample

After a long period of sitting on the fence, researching and hoping that a good,

cheap Medium format system might be available, I finally took the plunge. Up

until now I've shot about 80% digital; Canon 350D with lower-end IS lenses, and

35mm with a combination of a Nikon FM, Zenit E and a Fujica ST705w. Not exactly

the Ferraris of the photographic world, but Im happy with the results.

I could have saved and purchased wide angle glass for my Canon - my aim being to

try for Ansel Adams-esque landscape photography. Unfortunately, my APS sensor

isn't up to the snuff of Adams' large format, and even with DC glass, wasn't

ever going to be. I wanted Medium Format as a justification to do my own

developing (at least, in B&W) and also as a basis on which to begin landscape

photography.

So here's what I have, after much handwringing and hoping that my fiancee

doesn't find my VISA bill:

- A Mamiya RB67 Pro (Im not sure which of the subversions it is - something

tells me its the oldest.)

- 90mm Sekor Lens (Im pretty sure its 'Non-C')

- 120 Film back (not entirely sure which kind)

And thats it. I've done a little bit of shooting already - with more to come. I

guess what Im asking here is - can anyone give me any pointers on what to do

next; what should I angle for in terms of lenses (in the future).

How can I best take advantage of what I have now?

What are some things to bear in mind when shooting with this kind of camera

(aside from the fact that I need to go to the gym alot more if I want to carry

it for any length of time) that isn't immediately apparent to someone coming

from 35mm?

Likewise, 120/220 film - how should it be handled and what are its

benefits/detriments?

And lastly - I bought the RB67 because of its size (specifically the 6x7) and

flexibility - at least in terms of backs. Im told it can take a Polaroid back,

as well as a 70mm - its the 70mm that interests me; does it provide a bigger

negative? what are the perils or benefits of working with it?

Basically any advice or pointers people could offer would be much appreciated.

Wish me luck shooting with this beast!

The 70mm would be a smaller negative, it is a back that takes 70mm film, which is very hard to find. You can get a polariod back for it, but polariod is ending film production.

I would stick with the 90mm for now, from your use of the camera you will quickly find out what lens you want next, either wider or longer.

As far as 120/220 film, do you plan on shooting color or b&w?

Probably B&W for the most part. Im getting back into film because of the hands-on nature of it (as opposed to the intangible, 'virtual' nature of digital, which frankly Im sick of) - so I'd be developing everything myself. What would you suggest? I realize that color would likely be better for landscapes...

Your 90mm lens is the normal lens for your RB67. a fine lens to start with. Get a 180mm C lens for portraits. It kills me how inexpensive a 180mmC is today compared to when I bought one in the 1990's. Then I would pick up a 65mm C lens if you intend to do any wide angle work. You could get the 140mm Macro lens as a substitute for the 180 if you would like to do close -up work. A great system. Use a tripod whenever you can! No problem at all making great 16x 20 prints from those 6x7 negs.

I realize that color would likely be better for landscapes...

Someone should have told Ansel Adams.....before he wasted all of that time on b&w.I think what you are doing is great.....will really open up your world. Shoot more film.......print more photos....next you will need a darkroom. Good luck on you new adventure. 16X 20s that nothing, I have made 40X60s from hassey negs, you should easy go bigger with a 6X7 with a tripod and good exposure.

Color is great not only for landscape but for anythings as B&w is good for if you know what your doing. I never thought it was a waste of time for the Master of Ansel Adams to do B&W as his work is the best and have so many other as yourself to wish you were as good as he:-) B&W rules and me myself love nothing more than a real fiber B&W print. You have a great system and I love that camera when I had it. Now I using a Pentax 67 and RZ67. On the RZ I shoot mostly with the 127mm and the 180mm while my 250mm just sit with the 50mm and 65mm.

"... can anyone give me any pointers on what to do next ... How can I best take advantage of what I have now?"

As far as additional equipment goes, I'd go for just one additional thing: an inexpensive (less than $150) film capable flatbed scanner. The 6x7 is large enough that you can expect very good scans.

Oh, and of course, do try B&W (and especially doing your own film development.) Read up on the zone system. Learn how to control the negative from choosing exposure and development. All the digital darkroom techniques carry forward post-scan. I find the hybrid of 6x7 B&W and inkjet printing an outstanding combination.

So (and this is probably an obvious question - I scan the negatives directly; not the prints?

What is the breakdown of the process, beyond the resolution/stop down in which I scan; I can only assume it needs to be inverted and cleaned up in, say Photoshop some. What are the steps from shooting through to an end result - digital image?

Thanks guys for all your advice, so far I have taken it to heart.