New fix for 1D MIII autofocus

joeb

Hopefully the journey begins it's final leg!

Personally, I wish they'd add a few other things whilst they're at it ...

- Focus bracketing for ultra depth of field combinations (using the likes of Helicon focus)

- Leveling info included in Exit data

- Seperate Max shot counts for high-speed and low-speed drive modes

- AF in view view

- Favourites menu scrollable

- Ability to name custom function sets (eg: "Portrait" instead of "Set 1")

- Seperate CF for defining whether shutter-speed or Aperture varies when bracketing in Manual mode instead of tying it to the QCD/Index wheel select control CF.

And many more ...

Gosh, wish I hadn't seen this post. After reading Galbraith's article not only do I realize I'm not a "Canon VIP" (Because I haven't heard anything and my shop averages about $35K a year on Canon gear - who are these VIP's?) Second thing I was sorry to hear is that our new D3's still have a problem - had I not read the article I wouldn't have known I have a problem.

Ignorance is bliss.

I wonder if the average owner of a 1D MK III will get the "VIP Repair"?

I don't see anything in Rob's posting that talks about a VIP repair program. I don't think we will see an anouncement until a full plan is in place to impliment it. The posting said the root cause is identified and can be fixed. Does the fix break something else? Are new parts required? I'm sure they will have a plan soon. Don't read more into the post.

Your right. When I re-read the post and it said Canon was informing their VIP customers about the fix, not necessarily that they were the only ones to get the fix. I think my MK III is ok in the single shot mode but even after the first fix I think a lot of my shots in AI Focus are a little soft. I do mostly bird photography in AI Focus. I would like to get another camera and see if it is my technique or the camera! Thanks for the info.

"I think my MK III is ok in the single shot mode but even after the first fix I think a lot of my shots in AI Focus are a little soft."

Bill, I have a funny feeling that a LOT more people are suddenly going to be finding "soft shots in Servo mode" now that they know that there's an additional fix for the issue that they didn't know they had!

In some ways I'm reminded of the old cartoon with a dog that climbed a tree. The caption read: "It's amazing what you can do when you don't know what you can't do" - in the same vein "it's amazing how few problems people had with even the original (pre-"blue dot") units, before word got out of the problem".

I have the "blue dot" version of the 1D3 and a 1ds3. I'm pretty quick to jump on flaws I see with my cameras and honestly, I can't see any reason NOT to buy a 1Ds3 if you want one. I'm not a professional reviewer nor an optical engineer, I'm a professional photographer who uses these cameras every day...often times, ALL day. If you really do find fault with them engineering wise, you've got something on me. They both seem to work very well under the circumstances I've used them for.