Okay -- how about this look?

At radio station KUSC's home page (http://www.kusc.org/new/index.php) they run a

little four-five image slide show in the center panel. One of the images is of a

man wearing headphones, conducting an imaginary orchestra (sorry, have to wait

for the image to rotate up). I'd like to emulate that look. The lighting looks

like nothing more than a point and shoot on-camera flash. But there seems to

have been quite a bit of post processing. Anyone know how to get that look?

Maybe an article with step-by-step?

Mike: Perhaps you could tell us what post processing software that you have available, someone may be able to make suggestions as to how the image was processed.

It looks like a mask was applied to get rid of background, then a filter process?? Contrast,Brightness and opacity. Many possible combo's within Photoshop.

I.E. Photoshop xx-x, Lightroom, ect.

Bob

it's a ringlight not just an on camera flash and it looks like the guy doing the image processing really cranked up the contrast and maybe used some sort of porcessign that mimics film cross processing. Check out some of the free Lightroom processing templates that some people have created . You can find links to hose templates at http://www.lightroom-news.com<div>00OIev-41520184.thumb.jpg.f5e6e58172d82823b16a6d090b9d2a5a.jpg</div>

mike,

Take any portrait preferably evenly lit with diffused lighting like at a window. Color

balance to neutral or as preferred. Copy the background twice to make two duplicate

layers. Apply High Pass filter set to 250 to the first bottom layer and set blend mode to

Saturation or Soft Light. Play around with other blend modes.

The top layer set to Soft Light blend mode. You can get some very interesting effects

playing with different combinations.

$400 ain't bad, but the job I'm doing is for a charity which my wife volunteers for and I'm donating my work and, frankly, I just can't justify $400 for an occasional lighting accessory. It would be swell to have a ringlight, though.

Tim, I'll try your suggestions this evening -- sounds like fun.

Hi Mike,<br>

I used a different technique, pushed it to the extreme for effect, and added more x-processing.<p>

But Tim's technique works well and will give you a more refined result. Just dial down the high-pass radius depending on the size of the image (here I used 7 px for Ellis' example), and watch the shadows or they'll become black holes ;-) I didn't use any masking here so you can see the straight-up result.<p>

<a href="http://upload.pbase.com/pam_r/image/92587201.jpg">Tim's technique on Ellis' example</a>

The less contrasty your image starts out, the more headroom when applying the High Pass

filter and Soft Light or Overlay blending modes.

Turning the blend mode on the High Pass layer to Saturation gives some interesting

results as well. I just stumbled on this playing around with all the blend modes for each

layer. That's what makes this fun-the process of discovering new things on your own.

And an afterthought, try Luminosity blending mode on the High Pass layer.

To control contrast and color mapping you could also create a Brightness/Contrast

adjustment layer just above the Background layer to better control the affects of the other

top layers. Try out other blending modes as well such as Luminosity which will reduce

color halos on harsh tonal transitions.

So what I'm finding is that while the ringlight lighting certainly contributes to the overall "look" of the image I initially pointed to, these layer techniques can bring an image well within the ballpark of what I had in mind. I'll see if I can manage to post my before/after here (need to read the posting rules).<div>00OJ6z-41532984.jpg.d6e38e7a721b85d1bb90f4131d97d0c8.jpg</div>