color management confusion with vista

I have recently upgraded my pc to speed up my workflow. To make to the most of

the 8gb ram I have installed vista 64.

My color preferences in CS3 have all been set my working space(prophoto rgb)

and I have calibrated my monitor sucessfully with huey pro.

I am by all means no expert when it comes to color management and when checking

to see that the new huey profile had been properly set in windows I found

myself on unfamiliar ground. I confess that I do not fully understand the vista

color management settings and how I should be configuring them if at all. A

lengthy search on google gave no real advice on how the vista settings should

be used with CS3 apart from an apparent glitch where vista knocks out the LUT.

I have disabled the UAC and have not yet noticed any problems.

My question is should I be making any changes to the default settings on the

vista color management settings and if so what changes?

All advice gratefully recieved.

Go into Photoshop's Color settings. Click on the RGB working space popup menu and look

for "Monitor RGB:XXX". The XXX should be the name of the profile you built. If so, you're all

set.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

In my experience just upgrading to Vista 64 on a new computer, what would previously been some what of an ordeal, was amazingly easy. I have left most of the equipment with factory settings, with the only change,is all the way through the system I have it set at Adobe 1998. Just for kicks, I decided to do this "let's leave the settings and see what happens?" The first test print was the most accurate I have ever printed. I don't use any gadget for calibrating my display other than my eyes and with this NEC, I allowed it to set itself and all is well. Perhaps one of the good things about Vista 64 is the ease of use when we as users allow it to just do what it does and not think the way used to have to think about sweating setting up all of the parts. All I can say, this very easy method of calibration is still working for me.

And by not understanding how it all works and letting Vista and your NEC display control

everything how will you know what to fix when it doesn't work for you.

I've been researching, studying and implementing this technology since 1998 and there's

no way things just work by themselves especially with color management on any OS

platform. But if it works for you go with it.

God help you when it breaks and you find you have to rework all your images because you

edited under default unknown settings of both your display calibration and color

management setup.

• 2 weeks later...
I've just began using my Epson 2400 printer and need some direction on the purchase of a good book on color management...one that is geared for the beginner, yet in depth enough that I won't have to make another purchase the next day...after finding that the book is too elementary. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!