diopter correction for OM

michael_white4

What are the current options for diopter correction on an OM-2

camera ? I find it impossible to compose through the viewfinder

wearing my glasses. If I take my glasses off all is a blur :-)

Years ago when I used my OM-2 a lot I wore contacts but now am

forced to wear glasses. I'm nearsighted and my glasses are a

-2 correction. I have an Eyecup 1 with the circular opening,

so I'm thinking I just need the right lens to add in the eyecup.

Do I just buy a -2 lens to fit the eyecup or should I try different

ones to determine the correct value.

As I recall (and this can be a little confusing), the OM body eyepiece lenses have a built in power of -0.5. So, if you need a minus 2, and you buy an Olympus diopter, diopter lens is really a -1.5, -1.5 plus eyepiece -0.5 equals -2.0. If you go to an optometrist and get him to make a -2 for you, you'll put it on the camera and it becomes -2.5. You can also go with Olympus Eyecup 2, which have built in diopter lens. Unfortunately, my remaining stock of Eyecup 2 is limited to -1 and -5. $33 ea. + s&h. John, www.zuiko.com

I think you will be OK with a -2 correction lens. My glasses have a graduation of -2.5 and use correction lens of -3 diopters on each of my cameras, including a couple of OM-1s. Since you will be looking at a real image (the focusing screen), slight overcorrection is harmless (not the case with some darkroom grain focusers wich use virtual images).

Michael, I think John H. is right, the OM-1&2 screen is at an apparent distance of 2 meters. I have the same problem as you, nearsighted, so what I have done for all three of my OM-1 cameras is cut out a center section of my old plastic eyeglasses. The piece is cut to the form of the inside of the OM eyepiece. That would be a rectangle about 10mm high by 15mm long, with rounded corners. I cut it slightly oversize with an e-xacto hobby saw, then carefully trim and test fit until it is a press fit inside the plastic eyepiece frame. Then I cut off one corner so there is a slight 1mm gap in the upper right corner of the assembly, this is so I can reach in with the tip of a tiny screwdriver blade to pop the lens out for cleaning about every 6 months. I've never had a problem of it dropping out, the slight friction fit is plenty to hold it in securely. If you don't have any of your older eyeglasses laying around them explain to your optometrist about ordering up a bare lens for the eye you use, be sure to bring your prescription and camera and explain why you want the lens and what you want to do with it. I was able to purchase 2 minus 1 lenses for $14 and tax. It's fiddly work but I've used this setup for years and it works great.

Marcelo, yes, I have had 2 of the eyecup 1 but they had a tendency to work their way up off the eyepiece and get lost along with their correction diopter. This gets expensive and now they are hard to replace. I do have one more eyecup 1 with a -2 installed but as its now very hard to replace I've found the cut down lens trick is much more practical. The eyecup 2 with diopter is much less prone to slipping off the eyepiece but again they are now all long discontinued.

It is doubtful that an optician will be willing/able to cut a lens that small. I used a dremel tool to cut and shape an old lens. Cover the lens with masking tape, mark the circle on it, then cut it to rough shape and grind away the excess.

The eyecup does tend to get caught on stuff and knocked off, so you do have to be careful. This is much less of a problem it you remove the rubber cup part.

• 9 months later...

Finally found on ebay last week.... Eyecup 2 (-2) and a mint Eyecup 1 with the Olympus -2

diopter lens in mint condition. I'm a happy camper. Both were listed within about

a week of each other....and from the time I made this original post back in February til then

there were none listed.