Taking XTi to Italy, what other lens(es) needed/suggested?

chiefkeefe

By all accounts, the 70-300 is a great lens, featuring a low dispersion element usually reserved for it's more expensive L cousins and would be a 112-480mm equivalent on your 20D. It lacks full-time manual focus, but I'm not too sure how often you'd need to call on that feature.

<p>How about trying out both that and the 100-400 before you uy either one? Perhaps rent/borrow the 70-300 now for Italy, then the 100-400 when you get back from your trip...

I went there a couple years ago with my wife, spent a few weeks going from Naples to Milan with a jaunt to the Piedmont. I took a 17-85IS and a 50mm 1.8 MkII. Spent most of the inside time with the 50 mm on the camera. In Italy they do 'dark' very well. Lots of underground places with spot lighting on only specific locations. Very low light photography. I strongly recommend you pick up something really fast, the 50 or the 28mm (I own both now used on my 30D). The 50 can be picked up for less than $100 and weighs nothing. The 28 is a bit more, maybe $400 and is a good bit more lens, but I would not get it until I already had the 50mm.