Ernie Pyle Death Photo Rediscovered

jwalk

Thanks for posting.

I'm in awe of the guy, quite the writer. His "Home Country" book, prior to his combat coverage, is just an amazing collection of 1930s Americana. He visits George Washington Carver, Casey Jones' widow, Bus Hatch (early whitewater boating guide) takes him down the San Juan in Utah, he rides a tugboat in my local Maumee River, and visits the Lake Erie islands.

For the most amazing column of Pyle's wartime writings, Google on "Captain Waskow."

The Ernie Pyle museum in Dana IN is a worthwhile stop too, if you're curious about the man.

I am disappointed (but not surprised) by the responses around the web from people who think it's disgraceful to publish this photo.

Amazing how people take for granted their liberties. Communication isn't always pretty. We take the bad with the good, the dead bodies with the babies, kitties, flowers and sunsets.

I believe Ernie would have approved. Probably would have chuckled at the appearance that he's sleeping on the job.

Lex, agreed.

Though I think at the time it was taken, it would have been in poor taste to publish it. His wife was mentally ill, the country reeling from Roosevelt's death days before.

Agreed that "We take the bad with the good, the dead bodies with the babies, kitties, flowers and sunsets."

But not everybody sees it that way.

Didn't realize the pic was causing a ruckus by being published now.