18-250mm : Pentax or Tamron

andrew_ng7

Tamron costs you less, and has 6 year warranty. Tamron for Nikon and Canon crop dslrs are ebay'n brand new for $400 as opposed to $500 for smc logo'd pentax. The two lenses spec the same so I'd guess Pentax is having tamron put pentax logos on it. If the glass is actually different is debatable. Tamron won one of those same european awards that the K10D got for the Tamron version, which was the first version 18-250mm issued, whereas pentax has not won an award for their logo'd version of this same lens.

If I were still buying into pentax system for 2008 season I'd consider the Tamron 18-250mm priced at $400 for the wife to see how it compares to our FA 80-320mm Pentax and 18-55 kit lens.

Lindy

I think the unique feature of the 18-250 design is that when zooming the lens does not extend. The 80-320 on the otherhand more than doubles its length. I'm happy with the 80-320mm for bright daylight shooting. Dusk or dawn hampers it which is likely when the 18-250mm wouldn't shine either.

If I had the chance to handle both pentax and tamron locally I'd tilt them and study their coating colors. If they appear identical I'd say pentax is having Tamron make them. This wouldn't be the first time Pentax issued an identical lens that tamron made first. Plus tamron's got some intersting new design lenses for aps-c dslrs.

Lindy

Hi!

I have this Pentax 18-250mm for a while now - Fall 2007 - and I have used it quite extensively.

Here are a few facts:

1. The lens DOES extend when zooming.

2. In spite of being a DA lens, it does not have the QuickShift feature.

3. Vignetting is quite obvious at 18-20mm. Allow for more space around the image taken because you will have to crop and, therefore, lose parts of your image.

4. Now for the positive: it is great from 20-25mm onward to 200mm; at 200-250mm you have to be very careful not to move at all in spite of the antishake system. Use a tripod!!

5. Great for a carry around lens when space and luggage allowance is precious.

Anyway, I wouldn't sell it but ... I still will soon get the combo: 16-50mm plus the 60-200 (or 250???) DA* at f2.8.

<A HREF=http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Pentax%20Lens%20Tests/367-pentax-smc-da-18-250mm-f35-63>Clearly the 18-250 extends considerably when zooming</A>, also more than doubling its length. It appears to be more compact at 18mm than the 80-320 is at 80mm however. At B&H the price difference is currently only $20. The 80-320 should also be faster at all overlapping focal lengths.

Oh I thought that was its "big plus", no lens lengthening when zooming. Oh well: Its way overpriced then! Either tamron at $400 or Pentax at issue of $500, both are way too expensive for what you get. wait around and buy that tamron 80-200 2.8 for $699 issue price instead, that is if you want a tamron lens choice with 6 years of quality assurance.

Lindy

I've had the lens for a while now, too, and while its a decent travel lens when you don't want to pack all your gear, its noticeably soft at the extremes (both focal length and f-stop). Plus ... and I think this is true for all the super zooms ... you don't really get the benefit of all that extended zoom range, because the focal length changes with just a minor adjustment. I'd guess that the difference between 200 and 250 mm is maybe a 1/4-inch turn of the barrel. And, yep, it extends while zooming, so that person across the street knows you're taking their picture. ;>P

Andrew, please post again when you've checked them out, so I can take full advantage of your homework! I too am wondering about the difference here, and I'm hoping one of these will make me the soccer Dad of choice.

I've pretty much decided against the Pentax 50-135 that I considered in an earlier post, thinking that coupled with a tc would give me everything I want. Too much $ for my needs (sorry Dad).

This is just the thread I would've started, so carry on! I'm reading intently!

> They are the ''exact'' same lens...Tamron makes it for pentax and the tamron has the coating as well..

They are the same design, both made by Tamron, but I see no reference to the Pentax SMC lens coatings in the Tamron specs for the lens. The Tamron is "multicoated", yes, but that does not mean it is the SMC process.

I'm picking a nit, maybe, but SMC is tough to beat, and I don't see any evidence that the Tamron lens uses it.

Oddly enough, here in Toronto the Tamron, for the most part, is the same price as the Pentax. I have one online vendor who sells the Pentax for much less and is probably the way I'll go.

Another thing is that I am having a hard time finding a location that has it in stock. The Pentax is at the pre-order stage and the Tamron is on special orders. I need to call around and see who actually has a copy in store for a demo.

Went in and handled the Pentax 18-250 today and it's was quite nice. The zoom wasn't nearly as bad as what some people have mentioned on photo.net.

It was actually quite smooth throughout the entire range. It was a fair amount heavier than I expected too.

They didn't have a Tamron in the store but the sales associate said that they were identical but failed to mention that Tamron make it for Pentax.

So as soon as I complete the sale of my 50-200mm tomorrow, I'll be ordering the 18-250 online.