masatran

<p>Where can I get a <em>cheap digital SLR</em>, preferably with image

stabilization? I have a budget of about 200-400 USA Dollars, and cheaper is

better.</p>

<p>This will be my first digital camera. <em>Used equipment is fine</em>, but I

don't know where I can get quality used equipment. I searched the Photo.net

classifieds, but I have difficulty finding what I need, as I am somewhat new to

photography.</p>

Finding a DSLR with image stablization in that price range is highly unlikely.

If you are new to photography, I'd suggest starting with a used DSLR (the Pentax ist*DS comes to mind) and very basic fixed focal length lenses. The Pentax DS will use older, non-automated lenses with very little trouble. You can experiment with different focal lengths (starting with 35mm or 50mm) and make a good start on learning photography. You don't need image stabilization if you learn to hold the camera properly. Later, when you use longer focal lengths, move into very low light photo work, or macro photography, you will have learned what specialiized equipment is desirable.

Go to the library, or read the basic photo tutorials on the Web. I personally keep going back to an exercise I first did many years ago: go into the bathroom, close the door, and take a few dozen photographs. I'm serious. It is a way to learn

I assume you need a kit lens along with the camera. You might find a used Sony A100 or Olympus E-510 (both with in-body stabilization) for $400 if you're really patient and really lucky, but I think you're likely to be waiting for quite a while.

If you can live without stabilization, you have a lot more choices. Factory-demo Nikon D40's and Olympus E-410's can be had (with just a little patience) for around $350 from places like Cameta Camera on eBay. I think Cameta also has Canon XT's, and they would probably be about the same price. Also check KEH. I've bought from both Cameta and KEH before and would have no trouble recommending either of them.

I second the Pentax K100d. It has image stab., an excellent quality kit lens, and a comprehensive system to grow into. It produces excellent, sharp/contrasty images. Unless they've become rare, the kit was selling recently for under 400.00. Try a search and make sure you either buy from a well-known seller or you research the seller in reselleratings.com before committing. Bob.

Highly unlikely it is.

For a first digital camera, you would IMO be just as happy looking at a model like the Canon G9 or the Nikon P 5100. Both have image stabilization, decent lenses, and plenty of features to grow into. Why is SLR critical,you didn't say. Most here own both you know. Good P and S and a DSLR. Guess which likely gets the most practical use,if we took a poll....

You have what my mother use to say "eyes too big for your stomach." No offense intended. Do yourself a favor and start with something like I suggested. When you develop a little skill and experience,the cameras will still be out there. And yes, used is a smart thought whatever you decide or fall into.

Dont.

Unless you can afford to eventually spend much more you're better with a high end prosumer point and shoot like the Olys. They'll offer you full manual control, with every focal length you can imagine and pretty darn bright fixed lenses.

SLR's especially digital are systems that become very expensive over time as you make the mmore capable. The big advantage is interchangeable lenses (and image quality etc but mostly lenses) and those can get EXPENSIVe. I have more money in the accessories for my dslr(s) than i do in the camera body. The lens i want next costs TWICE what my slr body did.

If you're getting into it and thats all you can afford right now try a used pentax or sony on photo.net classifieds or ebay. You might get lucky. Or an oly e500 but it wont have IS. ID suggest staying with nikon/canon or a 4/3rds system (oly etc) for expandability (you'll keep your lenses .. you'll change bodies). 4/3rds would be good as you can buy cheap used manual lenses.

BTW the sony a100 is an excellent camera (took oly/nikon/canon a while to catch up to it) its ONLY downside is lens choice.