When is IS useful and what exactly does it do?

jami_lee_tatro

Seems like a simple question, but in what situations does IS come into play?

Canon's website will tell you it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I

was just wondering people's take on it.

I would especially like to know when you actually use it while shooting and not

just the theoretical (although that'll be nice too ;)

In a nutshell it moves one of the elements inside the lens so that any small variations in lens position are cancelled out, within the limits of the device.

As a rule of thumb - to minimise camera shake - you need to use a shutter speed that's the reciprocal of your focal length. So if you're shooting with a 100mm lens then you want to be shooting at 1/100th of a second or faster ...

... unless you have IS.

Often in the real world you just can't shoot at 1/100th of a second due to the ambient light (or rather the lack of it) - if you have a lens with 4th generation IS then you may be able to hand-hold a 100mm lens as low as 1/8th of a second.

It's not a "get out of jail card" for every occasion, but it sure increases the number of in focus shots when lighting is poor. "The best thing since sliced bread" - well yep - pretty close.

Cheers,

Colin

IS compensates for camera shake, allowing you to hand hold the camera at slower shutter

speeds without getting blur from the camera moving. Depending upon the lens, Canon

claims that you can shoot at a shutter speed that is from two to four stops slower. If you

could hand hold a shot without IS a 1/100 second, this means that with IS (depending

upon the lens) you could hand hold it at 1/25 second or perhaps even slower.

IS is not helpful at all for stopping a moving subject. For that you still need a faster

shutter speed. In fact, in situations with a moving shutter speed using IS can make things

worse since you may be tempted to shoot at even slower shutter speeds.

To add to the merry chorus but to keep it non technical and `when shooting` as mentioned:

IS is also useful on a tripod . . . say when set up on the vibrating deck of a boat, or a suspension bridge, and shooting an object not on the bots or bridge: although not camera shake from your hands, there is camera movement, relative to the subject.

IS is also useful for panning fast moving objects.

Further into the technicalities there are `generations` of IS, and these get `better` for each subsequent generation.

The lens you were asking about previously (24 to 105F4L) has the latest generation of IS in it, I believe (4th generation): and as Colin mentioned should allow 1/8 sec shutter speed by an experienced hand with great results (for a static subject).

Because the `value` of IS is often spoken about in `stops`; there is a misconception by many that it will `increase` the shutter speed, and thus `stop subject motion`: both of these assumptions are incorrect.

WW

>>> In fact, in situations with a moving shutter speed using IS can make things worse since you may be tempted to shoot at even slower shutter speeds. <<< (DM)

Not sure, but I think Dan means:

`in situations with a moving SUBJECT, using IS can make things worse since you may be tempted to shoot at even slower shutter speeds`.

WW

"Okay, ya got me William. Would IS help when shooting from the helicopter...let's say for example a Hawk?"

Very much so, in many circumstances (ultimately it depends on what shutter speed you're using). If it helps, Nikon's equivalent technology is called "vibration reduction".

Last time I looked up the meaning of the word "vibration" it said "refer Black Hawk Helicopter" ;)

>>> Okay, ya got me William. Would IS help when shooting from the helicopter...let's say for example a Hawk? <<<

I cannot out do Colin`s reply.

Yes.

Certainly IS would be of benefit to you in this shooting scenario.

The above were serious comments, and referring both to your previous post (the lenses) and to your profession.

My words might seem off beat at times, but I am being helpful: difficult to tell when we can only write and read the words and not see the face and the body language.

Cheers

WW

Is is indispensable when you want to shoot handheld - it cancels out the trembling of your hands - for longer lenses it is a must. The sharpness of your images will increase dramatically with IS. Even on a tripod with a gimbal-type head, IS is extremely useful. Most longer lenses have two IS modes - one for stationary objects and one for moving subjects for panning. When shooting birds in flight, the IS with the panning mode engaged will increase your keepers significantly.

Sliced bread? IS?

Take 6 slices of wonder bread, place in a heap, lay long lens on top and push down to activate squish control feature. Voila - lens perfectly cradled and minor movements from shaky hands are reduced by being absorbed by bread.

All IS has done is make the sliced bread method of vibration reduction more portable.

Hence "its the best thing since sliced bread".

<p>Personally, I would prefer to slice my own bread *and* do without AF, rather than be without IS on long lenses!</p>

<p>It's the most significant improvement in SLR photography since roll film, IMHO, and is useful to help insure sharpness at all shutter speeds, not just slower ones.</p><div>00OKVg-41577584.jpg.a1a8393cc27ae529c9cb1f4d3260646e.jpg</div>

"The lens you were asking about previously (24 to 105F4L) has the latest generation of IS in it, I believe (4th generation): and as Colin mentioned should allow 1/8 sec shutter speed by an experienced hand with great results (for a static subject). "

I just licensed a dusk photograph that I fired off on top of a mountain ridge with 5D and 24-105 at about this shutter speed. I had a tripod but no time to set it up. The shot just plain wouldn't have happened without IS.

Dan

Ok, so I'm thinking of buying my first VR lens, i shoot nikon obviously. After reading all

this i now believe that they are useful. Any thoughts on which Nikon VR lenses are

particularly well made, and just all around great performers.

I use my 24-85 f2.8 all the time, and probably my 12-24 f4 the most after that. But

woud'nt mind getting a longer zoom.

I know this is a general question and things like pricing and what i usually shoot come

into play, so im just looking for impressions on the best VR lenses.

Matt

24-85/2.8? To the best of my knowledge no such lens exist. There's 24-85/3.5-4.5 and 24-70/2.8. Also what do you shoot? What is your budget? Have you considered the 70-200/2.8 VR? There's also the 80-400 VR but it lacks AFS.

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests

Details man, details...

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

And BTW, why don't you ask in the Nikon forum?