Captivated by the light-Ed Pierce - Seminar - worth it?

elaine marie

I would say it is a hit or miss proposition. I've been to several of Ed Pierce's seminars as well as subscribed to his Photovision videos. At a seminar, you might or might not pick up anything new or useful, but you do get to see how he or his guest photographers might do a particular thing. Much of those "particular things" is related to products that Ed or his sponsor companies sell. There is nothing wrong with that, but it is something you should understand. There is a reason the entry fee is so low. If you keep up with trends and issues online, you will want to evaluate whether your 180 mile drive is worth it. If you have the time anyway and don't mind the drive, it will at least broaden your horizons a little, and who knows, maybe spark an idea or method that might be extremely worthwhile.

I attended his seminar in Atlanta and thought it was very well worth the $20 (times two, with my wife) and 30 mile drive. I don't ever plan to shoot studio images, but his outside lighting with reflectors was extremely worthwhile. His large prints are stunning. Only you can determine if the 180 mile road trip is worthwhile. Maybe you can find some photo ops along the way.

Nadine, thank you for the info. I am signed up for his May 08 seminar and expect to gain something out of it. I did realize that the seminar is highly influenced by his sponsors. I received so many post cards in the mail promoting the event, that I decided to check it out. If I learn one thing or connect with one person, it will be worth the drive. I am traveling about 70 miles to attend.

If there's better training available for the money than the Photovision products then I'd sure like to hear about it. I'm looking forward to seeing Ed again the end of March. Of course he has sponsors and he promotes their products, who doesn't? Take a look at WHO his sponsors are! The tradeshow is much more of an advantage to the event than it is a disadvantage.

To me, being critical of Photovision is akin to being critical of "Studio Photography" or "Rangefinder" magazine for having sponsors and not being "more" than what they are. Indeed, it would be easier to throw stones at the online forums in terms of their relative value to learning something new. BTW, they've got sponsors as well.... Photovision products have offerred consistent quality and worthwhile information.

Elaine and George, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that you'll benefit from the experience. I'm looking forward to each of you posting your feedback after attending the event.

"At a seminar, you might or might not pick up anything new or useful, but you do get to see how he or his guest photographers might do a particular thing. Much of those "particular things" is related to products that Ed or his sponsor companies sell. There is nothing wrong with that, but it is something you should understand."-Nadine

I donno....sounds critical to me. I believe that Ed Pierce is genuinely interested in "raising the bar" in professional photography and has made a committment to excellence with all of the Photovision products. While he has sponsors, I have no doubt that he genuinely values the products that he openly promotes. On a personal level I like and respect him. You're certainly entitled to your opinions as well.