marin headlands safety at night

markrupert

Convention is San Fran late next month. I'm planning on spending a few evenings

wandering alone on the Marin headlands trying to get the classic evening shots

of the Golden Gate and the city. A car is probably out of the question, so I'm

thinking of an evening bus out to the Sausalito Lateral and then hoofing it

from there, until catching another bus back into the city after dark. I think

I've got this figured out, but my wife is bugging me about safety concerns. Any

reason to worry about safety out there alone on foot at night?

Thanks for your advice.

Mark

No particular safety concerns. There are coyotes, bobcats, and an occasional mountain lion, but they're not terribly common and they'll mostly be trying to avoid you if you give them the chance.

<p>

Actually, the view points along Conzelman road road will be relatively well populated in early evening after dark. You're not the only one with the idea of taking a picture of the bridge at night. They do close Conzelman above McCullough at sunset, however.

<p>

You'll probably run into a few hikers and bicyclists, even after dark.

<p>

I'd be more concerned about safety once you arrive in San Francisco, actually, though that's not an extraordinary risk. Just be smart.

It's a classic photograph and not taking it would be unthinkable.

I've generally always felt safe at the lowest levels during the earlier evening hours when a number of tourists are around.

My sense of security, on a number of visits there, diminishes rapidly and proportionately with the lateness of the hour and as I progress to the more isolated, higher elevations along the roadway.

If you're staying in San Francisco then consider taking a ferry across the bay to Sausalito. They link to the bus system although I'm not completely clear on all the details.

Bicycles can also be rented along the waterfront and ridden across the bridge on the pedestrian sidewalk. The gates lock at 8 or 9 p.m. but if you're already on the bridge you can buzz yourself out at the gate. This is an excellent option to photograph the bridge itself if the weather happens to be foggy and the bridge/city view is fogged out from the headlands.

Baker Beach on the city side offers dramatic views of the GGB from the Presidio. There's a large old wooden pier down there that's great for shooting the bridge.

As you walk down there, towards Ft. Point, which is directly under the southern tower of the bridge, you may be tempted to step over the gate to be able to go directly under the bridge. It's an active military installation at that point and not advisable. :):):)

However, at the north tower, you can walk underneath the bridge itself on a public pedestrian catwalk which is accessible from the vista point at the north end/northbound side.

From the Presidio/Baker Beach, still on the city side, you can easily go up Lincoln Blvd and El Camino Del Mar (towards the Legion of Honor Museum) to some spectacular views of the bridge from the western side. Some of the nearer turnouts along the road offer some nice "traffic/headlight/taillight views of the bridge.

Expect all areas with decent views of the bridge to be unpleasantly windy and cold. Dress for that no matter what it feels like in the city.

Enjoy your trip. It is beautiful.

Michael

Another vantage point for shots of the city is from Treasure Island and in town from Pier 7 which is a great place to get picture of the Bay Bridge and of the Transamerica building from the waterfront.

Another option is the ferry that runs to Larkspur and back and at this time of year it is twilight at 5:30 p.m.

A very worthwhile investment is the roughly $15 Photo Secrets book on Northern CA and San Francisco.