Workflow

pgavalis

This question may belong in another forum but I am primarily a Pentax user so I

am asking other Pentaxians for opinions. This is my workflow if/when I do any

editing/framing etc....open in adobe ps elements, make changes, resize and save

as jpeg copy, go back one step to original size, save as tiff. Is that ok? Am I

losing any quality by saving as jpeg copy first then going back one step to

original size and saving as tiff?

First of all I hope you're editing copies of the files. Only speaking from experience, I've toasted a couple shots by playing with originals and it's too late if, and when, they don't fit in the Frame your using . . . When you do anything in PS, the file and your editing steps remain in your computer's Ram. The more you do with it the slower the PC gets. It'll upsize/downsize/turn black and white, cut, crop, and do all kind of rendering before it'll lose anything. If your Ram craters, you could lose the file, Hence the copy which doesn't affect the original. Your best bet is to save from largest to smallest. Decompressing from smaller to larger usually damages information. Most printers only deal with Jpgs and as much as I've worked with them not alot if anything has been lost. Unless you're saving directly off the camera as a Raw file, you're already converted to Jpg so It's technically too late anyway. If you're working from Raw, convert to Tiff and save before you do anything else.

I save the final image a second time to JPEG for posting to the web, HDTV slide shows, blogging, but nothing in between.

My itermediate images are PSD or TIFF.

as far as working with copies, i assume if your camera shoots RAW you are using it, thus your originals are never altered.

Using the back command, which is I believe what the OP is doing, shouldn't mean a loss of IQ, just the way he is choosing to do it seems odd.