Lens Selection

nick_kivett

I have been tasked with taking pictures of our girls during dance

competitions. I have been using a Nikon D50 with either of the "kit lenses",

28-80 and 100-300. In some venues the light is just not enough. Looking at

two lenses I can afford. Sigma 24-70 EX Zoom or Sigma 18-200 mm f/3.5-6.3 DC

OS Zoom. I need opinions on which wold be the better choice.

If light is low and the action is fast, you need the fastest lens you can afford. I would go with the 24-70 since you can at least hit f/2.8 and you'll probably be close enough to the action that zooming out to 70 should take care of your needs. (If you're too far away, then I'd be refiguring my budget.)

I'd also bring a monopod for the camera body if you've got one. That'll help kill some of the noise in case you need to slow down the lens a little to get enough of that precious light.

Worst case scenario, you could always join the National Press Photographers Association, pay their annual fee, and then suddenly you have access to the best equipment for free with only needing to pay shipping. But that's only a temporary fix because you'll end up paying more in shipping over a season than if you bought new glass... but you would also be using glass that probably neither of us could ever afford.

James's first sentence is right. However, I think you should forget about zooms altogether because they simply aren't fast enough. Instead, get a 50mm f/1.8 for under $100, and if you can afford it, add an 85mm f/1.8 (look for a second hand one to reduce cost). If you need more reach then you are out of luck - although the 200mm f/2 VR is a killer lens it will be way beyond your budget - you will have to get closer instead. The idea is to allow you to use a shutter speed that makes a monopod unnecessary. You should have the camera set to use 1600 ISO and use the widest f/1.8 aperture.

>>> In some venues the light is just not enough. <<<

The F2.8 of the Sigma most likely will not be fast enough either, in many situations.

If you doubt this comment take a look at the shooting details of the images shot with the kit lens at about FL50mm: most likely it widest aperture around F4 at that FL.

What are the Shutter Speed and the ISO?

Then calculate what aperture you need to get the shutter speed to 1/320 or faster.

Fast primes are your friend, IMO.

FYI:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Nqzx

WW

The fast Sigma primes that I mention in the thread that William points to are of course also available for Nikon cameras. Wider lenses may be less of a priority for you if you are trying to capture your daughters - though if they are part of a dance troupe, pictures of the whole troupe could be popular among the other parents.

You might also get an idea as to why f/2.8 isn't fast enough by looking at the image of a dancer posted in this thread:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00OBNk

Note that 1/200th f/2 and 800 ISO leaves a lot of motion blur in her leading leg, and she is spotlit.