It's been a year now! - Newbie needs input on business and expansion

aperfectshot

I starting shooting digital a little over a year ago. I started my business and

mainly have been portfolio building and learning. I am not new to photography

but new to digital considering I didn't even know how to use a computer 5 years

ago.I took digital photography at the local community college. I have had

clients because of my pass (film)photography.But would like to market to new

clients since th old ones don't look at you as a professional:) My main niche

is event photography, but I found out you can only do so many events a week.

So I have added portraits to my list. I am really interested in seniors &

teens and think the portrait party idea is great for children or seniors.

I would like to give my seniors low resolution photos for their myspace. And

get more families to do beach photos. I would like to have information on how

to get going with these projects. Any info would be great. Any ideas for

marketing, clients, and equipment needs. I have a D80, D300, 18-135mm, 55-

200mm,55mm 1.4, backdrop stand,laptop,(do I need desktop?) no lighting yet.

Have my wesite thru smugmug. And order my cards thru vistaprint.

Can you help me out?

gloria - that's a lot of things you are looking to do. I would suggest taking it one step at a time. if you don't have one, get a website and put your best stuff on there.

I see that you already have a website - but it's not focused. I see photos of a tollway and a road. Are you a wishy-washy fine art photographer or an event photographer?

I also see your portraits thumbnails - it has a picture of a kid looking a bit surprised. Again, show your best work only.

Your work has a lot of heavy PS-ing. I'm not a huge fan, but that's just me.

I also think that you should remove every photo that does not represent what you want to sell - ie. photos of chicago. unless you intend to compete as an architectural/landscape photographer, take them off!

I don't like to see your direct flash, however, and I think that most people will agree. learn to bounce your flash.

I don't know nikon much, but as you get better and get more income from photography, I recommend you sell your 18-135 and 55-200. I don't think that their are considered good lenses. the 17-55 and 70-200 are much better from what I have heard.

and no, you don't need a desktop. it doens't matter, IMHO, what tools you have - just the final result.

the exception to this - a color calibrated screen will save a lot of time if you have printing problems :-)

gloria, IMHO, if you want to sell prints, set up another site entirely.

how much do you make when you shoot a portrait? $100? $200? Or shoot a wedding?

How much do you make from selling a print? $5? $10?

prints might sell a bit, but it is my guess that you are losing more business b/c some people see these non-wedding photos and think "what is this photographer doing here?" and as a result, they call someone else instead of you.

just an idea.

O.K. Gloria, I will try to help you. Lets start with this statement, "My main niche is event photography, but I found out you can only do so many events a week".

I think "Event Photography" is your true passion, but you are not convince that you can make enough money in a week to justify, so you are piling more and more on your plate to make ends meet. Now, I take it that photography is a hobby for you but you want to take it to another level. You have invested a year learning digital and launched a new website. You have invested in digital equipment but you are not sure if you have the right stuff. Am I on the right track? If so, then listen up and follow me here.

You just purchased the latest and greatest that Nikon has to offer with the D300 (non fx). Your 50mm 1.4 is a great prime lens. In your mind, you have crossed over from the hobbyist to the pro arena. Now you have to focus. Pick the ONE area that you want to specializes in and go for it. If you market yourself as an event photographer and cater your website to clients looking for an event photographer, then you will start to book more events then you can handle and make the kind of money you need to make it worth the effort.

From what I have seen, your portfolio is all over the place. Clean it up and make your website a home where your potential customers can visit and frequently look at your work. From what I see, they will visit and get confused. Like stated above, only show your best work.

Take a look at my website. I do not have one of the suggested websites and I did get hammered for it, but I do have a website that targets my market and my clients love it. Believe me when I say I get my fair share of Portraits, Seniors, Families, Corporate, and other photography work. However, I only target my primary market. "O.K. George, stop..."

Gloria, I suggest you lay out your entire portfolio of events that you have taken in the last year and pick your best 25-30 photos. For example, if weddings are your niche, then display your best wedding photos and target that market. Visit bridal shops and place a stack of your Vista Print cards there. Ask if you can display a portrait in their store. Market yourself at bridal/wedding showcases. This time of the year you can find them everywhere. I booked 3 weddings today from a wedding showcase 2 weeks ago. Just remember to showcase your best work. Get a few pens and postcards. These will direct people to your website where they can get more information. Now, here is the best information I can offer you. Find a Pro Wedding/event Photographer in your area that is willing to take you on as a second photographer. Ask if you can use your photos for your portfolio. This will not only give you the confident and the experience that you need, it will also enable you to focus your efforts in one direction.

Now with all that said, I believe you have what it takes and you have the drive to make it work. You have definitely invested time and money into your hobby/profession, however, I do not believe your are at the point in your mind to take it to the next level. David and Conrad have giving you some great advice. Join a network organization and your local PPA. Just remember, if your price is right and your quality is second to none, then you will make a tons of money as an event photographer and you will have to turn away work.