D300 high iso call to arms

john_.

I've seen some image son ken rockwell's site of D300 noise, but I would like to

see more examples of High iso performance... I currently have a D200 and find

it to be crap when trying to pull shadow detail out here and there. I am torn

between getting the D300 or the 5d...If anybody has examples they could show or

quirks they have come across, I would greatly appreciate it

Try DXO software first (works best if you shoot RAW). It is absolutely superb at bringing out shadow detail without adding noise.

Based on what I have seen, I believe the 5D is superior at high ISO IQ. Many will argue this point. They likely do not have a 5D. I do not have a D300 to test against my 5D.

If DXO doesn't work for you, I suggest you buy a D300 and try it out to see if it meets your needs. If it doesn't try the 5D.

Jim's comments at the bottom of the thread linked above speaks volumes.

I agree.

Based on your original comments (bringing out shadow detail), I am positive DXO software will give you the solution you want without needing to buy an expensive new camera.

anything above ISO 400 on a D200 gets to be problematic especially in low light, low

contrast situations. Doesn't make a difference what software you use, the high ISO, low

light, low contrast performance of the D300 is far better. It has a larger (50-150% larger

dynamic range too, but most of that is in the highlights. And then there is both "active D-

Lighting" and the EXPEED 16 bit per channel processing as implemented in the D300 both

of which are which is non existent on the D200. I also think the D300 has a more logical

control layout, better menu navigation and obviously a better LCD monitor on board. also

25% more resolution from a better engineered CMOS imaging chip.

I've shot a D200 and D300 side by side and used both Capture NX and Adobe ACR 4.3.1

on the same NEF images and the D300 is a clear winner. It will be the same story with

DxO's raw converter as well. As they say, if you want a silk purse it's better to start with

silk than a pig's ear.

"Doesn't make a difference what software you use. . ."

Maybe if you are not well versed in post or understand its place in the whole of the process. I shoot at ISO 800 much of the time in low light and after post (D200) get more than tolerable results, as a matter of fact, stunning would be the word.

I agree the D300 is on the average a stop better per noise, but that is not much compared to a 5D or D3.

Post production will always be an equal to the camera, lens, and photographer. Unfortunate that many do not understand this and only spout specs. From some of the D300 pic posts here, including several posted on a review of the D300, I would hesitate to buy one. But, I have seen others that are astounding. It's a great cam. However, I would avoid making general remarks to disregard a good "postman" as he/she are essential to great photography. If you don't believe lowly me concerning post, ask Moose.

As they say, if you can't distinguish silk from pork, what's the point of making a purse? Personally, my cam bag and purses are made of pigskin lined with the finest Asian silk. Point being, not all RAW(NEF) converters are the same and not all NR programs equal. Talk about a non sequitur and pathetic segue, but isn?t this supposed to be fun?

All to say, my experience is and has been successfully different than some of the comments made here.

John,

I was a Canon SLR owner for years and was very excited when they released the 5D. After some exhaustive research I decided to buy the D300 and so far I am very pleased. First, rumor has it that Canon is on the verge of releasing a successor to the 5D which hopefully will solve some of the build issues...sealing for dust, etc., but I'm sure it will be much more expensive. Second, and more importantly, the D300 just flat out beat the 5d in all of the detailed reviews that I read. At first I felt like a traitor to my old friend...but no more. The D300 is a beauty...you'd love it.

Good Luck!

Dick