Any problems to watch out for when buying an ME Super

wpoupore

I've been reading this forum for the past couple of months, absorbing all the info I can so I can "go digital"

the right way. And what has it done? Made me want to go and buy a film camera! I've just come across a

store that has a half dozen ME SUPERs ranging in price from $35 to $70. (There is also a Super Program

for $95 that looks interesting) I'm just wondering if there are any known reliability issues with the ME

SUPER, and generally what to watch for when buying a vintage camera?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

I still use my father's ME Super he had in college. I have had some work done on it recently. Check the mirror damping foam at the top of the mirror box. Mine started turning into goo about a year ago. This is a really easy/cheap fix. I've never really liked the mode dial. At one point it got stuck in bulb and I had to disassemble the dial to get it working again. I wouldn't call either of those serious problems. That ME Super is built like a tank and definitely one of my favorite bodies.

My experience isn't with the ME Super specifically, but it probably applies to Pentaxes of the same era and similar design.

I have read that the Super Program can have issues if the contacts are dirty in the ASA/exposure compensation dial. It can be cleared up by working the dial back and forth.

I recently got a Program Plus, and at first it was a little flaky, sometimes locking up and showing 1/1000 shutter speed in the display. Sure enough, working the ASA dial back and forth (both the exposure compensation and the actual ASA dial) will cure it. Since I have worked the dial back and forth a number of times, the camera seems to be good.

Those are good prices for an ME Super. They seem to command a premium (above the Super Programs and Program Plus's). Happy hunting!

I never had one. My (later!) Program Plus died 2 times, the Super Program got a new shutter release button after 2 or 4 years, died once and is now suffering from a bend base plate no longer suitable to hold the Motordrive A.

David's problem could occur before exposure #1 on the film counter, according its specs the camera sets the shutter to 1/1000 if not put on 1/125 synch setting to allow quick forward winding.

Foam seals might start rotting now, I had only the ones of my way older KX replaced yet.

In general I can only advise you to consider an electronic camera of that vintage "unreliable". - Why not get a Maginon or Optium K1000, Ricoh KR5, mechanical Cosina 300 or Vivitar 2000 if you can't afford a MX or KX? - They can get fixed locally.

Sorry, I might come across as a semi-paranoid backup maniac, but which piece of sophisticated consumer electronics that already gave 23years of service would you (still!) call reliable? - To me it would appear "written off". - If you'll depend on a working camera bring some backup. - I'm doing the same with my DSLRs.

Do as suggested above, so you can swap for a better one if there is a problem. The ME super is a super-built mostly metal camera, a mini tank! The Super Program has some features the ME Super does not have, in terms of more advanced flash system, but the ME Super has a bigger, brighter VF. Look through it, compare with others using the same fast lens, and you'll see how exceptional. Great for MF. I think in terms of workmanship with the 2-tone silver body (real metal, not painted plastic), chrome inlays and 2-piece film winder lever, it is tops. Yet it is one of the most compact bodies ever.

Then get yourself a 43mm f/1.9 Limited- you'll be very happy!

Bill, I have a ME Super I bought on Ebay about a year ago. I've never had any problems with it. For years I used my K1000. But I wanted an update before I could finally go digital.

I went with the ME Super because I was looking for a faster flash sync speed. The ME has 1/125, which is twice the 1/60th of my K1000. And it was cheap.

It takes great pictures. Like others here have said, it is built like a tank.

But on the ninth of this month, I finally bought the K10d.

If you're interested, I'd sell you this one. I have plenty of extras to go with it too.

Either way, the ME is a great manual camera. It IS a Pentax, after all......

Well, I feel really bad saying this, as I have grown up with Pentax cameras, and besides my Yashica rangefinder I have all Pentax gear. However, of the three ME Super bodies I've owned (still have two of them) the winding mechanism has gone a bit whacky on all of them. I don't know if something just get's loose in there and a more regular maintenance schedule would fix that or what, but it is a little dissapointing, as I love the small bodies and like Dave said, the 50mm 1.4 is a really nice lens, you'd be doing VERY well if you could get them to just 'throw one in', but try your luck, you never know ;)

By the way, if any other ME Super lovers have had the same winder problem, I'd love to hear how you got around it, since I've got a pristine body, and another, not-so-pretty one I could use for parts.

Cheers,

Steve

Maybe I'm lucky, and maybe the person I bought my ME from recently had it serviced, I don't know. But no gunk on the seals, and the winder works great. There is a smidge of something on the mirror, but I just left that as it is. I also bought a ME power winderII for it too. Like the camera, it also works flawlessly.

I kind of want to sell it, my K1000 and all of the extras for some new goodies for the K10d, but I kind of feel like I'd be betraying my roots getting rid of it all. I've had that K1000 since high school. Photography speaking, it was my first born.

But I have my eye on that 70mm f/2.4 limited.

What to do, what to do.........