bigger occasionally. Now i am not taking a lot of interior shots, is having

shift, tilt etc is what i should go for. Portability is important for me. I

have looked at the Horseman 619, 612, the AlPA SW12 and the Lindhof 4x5 but

that seems huge. Could i have some advice on what to look for and

recommendations please on the best system for what i want to do. I can afford

each of the systems that i have mentioned. However once the system is bought,

then that is it for me.

Thank You

Do you really mean 12 feet x 10 feet? Or 12 inches x 10 inches? If the latter then why can't you get that result from a Mamiya 7? Indeed if its feet you might well still be OK with the Mamiya 7 since the viewing distance would presumably be greater.

But if you don't think that 12" x 10" is sharp with your Mamiya 7, then there's something wrong with the camera or the way you are using it. Do you use a tripod?

If you and your Mamiya are working right, then a 20 x 16 b&w print shouldn't be pushing the boundaries too much printed traditionally, and no problem at all for a drum/Imacon/nikon 9000 scan to a lightjet or inkjet printer. If you don't find this there's either something up with the camera (rangefinder issue?) or the technique (tripod for big prints?, rangefinder focussing ok for you?, depth of field issues because no preview is possible?

Unless you're significantly unhappy with the proportions of the Mamiya image, or need camera movements I wouldn't see much benefit from a modest increase in neg. size. And I'd see the street stuff getting slower.

The only other format that will give you noticeably better quality than your Mamiya is large format. In fact if you want "razor sharp" 16" x 20"'s or 20" x 24"'s that about the only way. But it is much slower than the Mamiya 7 so I would keep that as well and use it for street photography and other areas where portability is essential.

I use both an M7II and a 4x5 and love both for different reasons. At the level of basic photographic image quality, with slow film, and care, it is rather difficult to tell, without really working at it, the difference between a M7II and 4x5 image. I use the M7II for travel and hiking when I'm going uphill.

I still love working with my 4x5. What 4x5 does that no other system can, is tilts and shifts, various PC and shift lenses for other formats not withstanding. For architecture, and in places like landscapes and macro where depth of field becomes an issue, 4x5 shines. Each piece of film can be individually developed to order for contrast control.

Of course 4x5 is another world of large enlargers or scanners and larger developing tanks if you do your own.

I am retired and love the slower, more deliberate process of 4x5. I'd rather make 5 negatives in a day then 2,000 digital snapshots.

Good luck.

Eric

You will regret it if you get rid of your Mamiya 7II system, especially the 43mm, finest lens out there. If you're not already, use a tripod, and the Mamiya will do 80 percent of what a 4x5 does. If you'd like to dive into 4x5, start with a good ol' Crown Graphic. The Toyos and Wistas are excellent and cost effective beyond that.

Thank you for all your views. From what you have said there is really little point in going from 6x7 to 6 x9 or even 6 x 12, the leap is perhaps really only worth it for 4 x5. I will get a tripod for the Mamiya and look at the 4 x 5 cameras you suggest. What do you think about the Linhof Master Tech?

Robin,<br>

I use a 4x5" folding camera with a rangefinder (Linhof Master Technika) and I use it handheld probably in the same way that I would use a Mamiya 7 II.<br>

Rangefinder focusing with a Linhof is accurate and very rapid, the rangefinder priciple is the same that on the Mamiya 7 II.<br>

The difference is that light measurement is made with a spotmeter handheld. The other difference is that you can choose the focal lengths that you prefer, from wide angle 75mm to 360 mm tele. (In fact I use lenses from 72mm to 400mm) And several brands : Fuji, Nikkor, Rodenstock, Schneider or Zeiss. Some of the can be bought from second hand.<br>

You have to put the corresponding cam into the camera's body before changing the lens. But it is very rapid and easy.<br>

Of course the main difference is that you produce 4x5 inches negatives. And that's great.<br>

If you need further information, send me an email. I'll be happy to answer.<br>

• 2 weeks later...

Robin, I thought you were kidding. First you can't get a sharp relatively small print out of a Mamiya 7 II and then in the middle of asking advice about a large format system you say you will just now get a tripod? Well, assuming you are asking with good intentions and not laughing it out from your couch I'd say:

- Tell us about your workflow

- Post a sample of your work

Then we can help you get what you want with no money spent (unless your camera is defective).

Here is a quick sample of a transparency from my RZ67 scanned with an Epson V500. You scan this with a Coolscan and you will get a sharp 20" x 30" print.

http://shutterclick.smugmug.com/gallery/3639504_X4XUj#252080747