website-set up

marta3eciak

Hi All,

For about 2 days straight, I've been reading about website builders. After doing

some research on Photo.net, I found many great sites to be listed in the forum,

thanks. One thing that stops me from making a decision is lack of credit card at

the moment. I live in Ireland and find it rather difficult to purchase anything

online without a credit card. Does anyone know any building software over in the

UK or Ireland? I can't even find anything as close as portfolisitez, bigfolio,

bigblackdog, bludomain, etc.

Btw, I want to build it myself..

I recently lost my domain callmarta.com, which already has been taken over, and

can't get a hold of my former designer.

your help is appreciated,

marta

Hi Marta,

I've heard good reports about photium over here in the UK (www.photium.com). They do a free trial but it wasn't clear whether there were other payment options apart from credit card after that. I guess there's no harm dropping them an email to ask though.

John.

Hi Marta

I'm from Portugal and i'm now building my first website.

During 2 months i visited some website and webhosting foruns,online magazines, i asked for opinions,i posted some question here at photo.net and after all these i decided to choose: http://www.hostmonster.com Take a look and see some reviews about.I think they are the best solution at the moment.

And as i don't know nothing about web design and some programs are too difficult for me,i'm using: http://www1.namo.com and i'm feeling day by day being a pro (eh,eh),because the program is so easy and intuitive.

Well,it's only my experience.Maybe it will not work with you,but it's a try to help you.

Good luck,

Paulo Riskas

John,

thanks for your reply, that got me started somewhere. So far i've looked at www.photium.com and they don't require payment by credit card, but i have to be honest that I wasn't very impressed by their folio. I'll just keep on looking in England, cause I feel like I've called every place in Ireland:)

Paulo,

I found a local hosting company, and I've decided to stay with them, however all I hear from hosting companies is that I should just hire a professional (considering I'd like on-line proofing included). I believe there are other ways to go about it. I've looked at namo.com before and it looks good and I found a retail shop in the UK.

I still would like to hear more ideas on site building softwares,or ready made sites(preferably HTML) please let me know. in the meantime I'll just keep on reading.

cheerio

marta

Hi Marta...

O'Reilly publishes a terrific line of computer self-help books, called The Missing Manual series. Each is written by a subject matter expert, and is aimed at the intelligent non-expert user. They have one that covers how to create your own website. Here's the link..

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/creatingwstmm/?CMP=ILC-MMh0me

title: Creating Web Sites : The Missing Manial

author: Matthew MacDonald

This book takes you from not knowing anything, up to about the 'intermediate' level. Its a very nice balance of user-friendly but still technically helpful information, organized in a nice, logical step by step approach.

Hope this helps..

AP

thank you all,

after looking at photium.com, I wasn't really impressed with the layout. However, i got a response within 30 min. they added extra features for me to try and I'm absolutely happy with what i see. I was able to send private links to my clients quickly and basically i have the trial version of my site running in a day. I think i'm going to give these guys a try. Service is unbelievably fast.

btw i was looking for an HTML site, not a flash one, since I'm not a fan of those.

Thank you all for your help and I always find this site very helpful.

cheerio

marta 3eciak

Hi Marta

I too am in Ireland (and Irish)and looking to setup my first website. After looking on the internet and what's available, Ive decided to take a different action.

Nightclasses. Adult education. I started my course last week. 10 weeks long to design a basic website using dreamweaver. By end of course I'll have my own website up and running and designed by myself. I'm trying to avoid buying in templates or pre-designed sites. However after the 10-week course, if I feel overwhelmed, then I can buy-in with a bit more kowledge of what I'm buying or want.

So far after 1 week, enough explained to keep me interested and believing I can do this !

Night classes in Ireland are very inexpensive - Maybe try them ?

e-mail me if you want to find a nightclass near you !

J..