Does size really matter?

wpoupore

Like a number of other people here, I would really like to see a high end compact body from Pentax. The

controls of the K10D in a smaller body. But how small?

Here are some Pentax body dimensions for comparison:

-

Width x Height x Depth (Wieght)

K10D 5.6 x 4 x 2.8 (28 OZ, 793g)

K100D 5.1 x 3.6 x 2.8 (23.3oz, 660g)

*ist D 5.1 x 3.7 x 2.4 (22.9oz, 650g)

ME SUPER 5.13 x 3.24 x 1.93 (15.7oz, 445g)

-

The ME SUPER isn't much more than half the weight of the K10D, and as small as the *ist D is, the ME is

still significantly smaller. Of course you might have to give up a few things to keep the weight that low,

and there just wouldn't be room in a body that small for some things. What would you reduce or leave

out to go that small? Shake Reduction? Lower FPS? A smaller LCD? How about no LCD?

Having owned a Canon XTi for 10 months and currently a K100d and K10d. I agree size matters, but for me you can get it too small to usable for an extended time. The K10D is great, I'm also happy using the K100d for the day. My XTi however was too small, with too small of a grip (as is the 40D Nikon). Using it for hours was like hanging on to a cliff by your finger tips. I solved that by adding the optional grip to the XTi and it improved the ergonomics significantly by increase it's size by about a third. For occasional use small camera are great. For time I'm carrying it all day and using it for several hours I don't want anything smaller than the K100d.

For times when I just may want to have a camera with me I carry an A710 IS Canon P&S which fits in my pocket and has a 6x zoom. Having just acquired the 43mm limited and I have the 21mm limited on the way that combination with my K100d my replace the P&S for traveling light.

I don't think you could fit the K10D controls on a camera much smaller. Buttons have to far enough apart not to accidentally hit the wrong one; although a second control wheel would be a nice addition.

Yes is does. I wouldn't make it any smaller than it is.

One thing that I would want to see change is the size of the battery. With a smaller body, the battery compartment would be compromised slightly giving not only less shots per charge, but an even smaller grip. Even with the battery grip added, I can't see the K10D being comfortable to use if it was smaller.

Also with a smaller body, you'll probably see a smaller LCD for space and power consumption.

I agree too small is not comfortable, especially if not designed properly. If one looks closely, it can be seen that the Nikon D40 is virtually the same size as the K100D, yet it has no top LCD panel. I don't like that. That has been a trend to cut cost. That is not all you'll find missing in the D40.

It was apparently easier to make a lighter body in a film model than in a DSLR.

Handling is also about controls and layout. With more controls more room is needed. The ME Super has few controls and well laid out. It has a metal body. Handling is excellent, and well-balanced with small lenses. With the ME II winder, it handles very well, better than most modern cameras, with large lenses.

The K100D has a deeper grip than the *ist series, which is a help for a small camera body. But the battery grip for the *ist-D gives it an advantage for larger lenses. The K200D will have a battery grip available- a very nice feature for a mid-class camera.

The best recent small camera bodies having a lot of controls, for handling and control layout, are the *ist-D and the MZ-S.

oh man, I clearly didn't re-read my post before I confirmed it.

"Yes it does. I wouldn't make it any smaller than it is.

One thing that I wouldn't want to see change is the size of the battery. With a smaller body, the battery compartment would be compromised slightly giving not only less shots per charge, but an even smaller grip. Even with the battery grip added, I can't see the K10D being comfortable to use if it was smaller.

Also with a smaller body, you'll probably see a smaller LCD for space and power consumption."

Yes, size and weight matter!

Some people need a good size grip in their hands, and like a weighty feel.

Others (like me) place a much bigger emphasis on having something that weighs less when you're lugging it around.

Clearly there are two different markets here. It would be fantastic to see Pentax offer a lightweight body with the "essential" pro features... in particular a decent size buffer and easy to use interface (ISO button etc). I wouldn't mind a smaller LCD or a more plasticy body, since there have to be some trade-offs.

Plus a lot of P&S shooters moving up to SLRs are kind of put off by heavier bodies... especially considering how small and light most P&S cameras are these days. A lightweight Pentax option would be very nice indeed.

I remember when I bought a Nikon F3 with the motor,later,I get the Nikon F4,later again,Nikon F5,for the wedding,I use the Mamiya RZ,what a huge cameras and today the K10D,its a small camera compare to those models.Depend what you do,but i can't imagine doing a wedding or a comercial job with a credit card size camera,when you do a job for somebody like weding or fashion what ever,you have not to be a pro for that today,if you know what you do in photography,well bingo.The people beside you when you do a job,look at you,and they can tel your the pro because the size of your camera and that's the way the they think,,,,imagine doing a wedding or what ever with a point and shoot(ex)you just get lost the pro respect what ever if your a pro or not does'nt matter.If you build your house,you have to make the hole for the basement,call a company,what they send,5 guys with shovels or a big machine so i think the camera today are small enough,if your neighbour ask you to do his daughter wedding,well I think you'l be proud to do it so what you gonna use,your big kit or the point and shoot or the other way,your small camera or your big camera.

Well a problem with smaller is in the digital age, there are most buttons.

Forget about the LCD, even if a 1 inch LCD camera would sell you have all this push buttons.

Yesterday I took the ist D out with me because I love how small it is with the 21mm DA. the problem is the buttons are so small that even with very thin glove lines working it is tough. Very hard to get a tactile feel on small buttons.

Thankfully the D isn't very button oriented, and the two control wheels make shooting in cold weather with glove liners possible.

THe D isn't even as small as my program plus, but it's about as small as a digital camera can be made and be funtional.