Selecting a digital camera

I presently shoot weddings, seniors, and familes using a Canon film SLR. I

need to upgrade to digital. What kind of megapixel should I be considering and

what are some suggestions on cameras? I am not going towards one brand over

the other at the moment. I just need some advice on what to be looking for,

and my budget doesn't allow for something expensive. This is hobby work not

full time work right now.

Dear Nancy,

the amount of megapixels is not all that important. What's really important is the quality of your lens. Given your description maybe a bridgecamera would be best and there are some really good ones out there. The Fujifilm F6500, the Nikon E8700 (if you can still find one) and so on are just fine. Quit reliable information can be found on www.megapixel.net

However, if you do weddings use your Canon as a backup.

Hope this is somewhat helpful

with kind regards,

Ton Mestrom

The Netherlands

You don't mention what lenses you already own or what your actual budget is ("expensive" is a matter of definition), but if your enlargements aren't much over 12 x 18 then the Canon 40d would probably be the best choice for you. But if the 40d is too expensive at $1,150 then the 400d at $520 would also work, and if you have small hands might even be better.

5 megs are sufficient of 12 by 18 inch prints. However, I would recommend a DSLR, especially if you find one that can use your current lenses. The big advantage of a DSLR is the much larger sensor which provides a much higher signal to noise ration. That plus interchangable lenses and the use of an external flash.

If your Canon film camera has 'EF' detachable lenses then they can be used on the Canon digital cameras including the 350D, 400D (XTi), 20D, 30D and 40D. The 350D and 400D are physically smaller than the latter 3. All of these cameras have 8 or more Mpixels - which is good for hobby work. The newest models are the 400D (XTi) and the 40D so these have the latest features (most of which you may not need.) The cheapest options are the 350D and the 20D. The 20D is a very capable camera. You can see a comparison here: http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/eos_digital_rebel_xt_vs_20d.html