With 10+ MP cameras now readily available at the consumer level

... how does digital stack up to film now at this point in time. From what I

read in the past, a 10 MP camera is pretty much equivalent to 35mm film. This

thread came to mind as I was reading some comments that for B/W, film is

superior to the digital medium.

I shot a lot of low light things like concerts and in the old film days, I

routinely shot at 800-3200 ISO and I just don't see my DSLR performing better

under those conditions. I think I will take the grain of film over the noise of

digital but of course I have saved a lot of money converting over to digital.

There is a big difference between cameras aside from megapixels.

A 10 mp pont and shoot consumer camera with a tiny sensor is going to take really horrible pictures compared to a real camera with a bigger sensor. The D3, 5D, 1DIII, etc have sensors that make the megapixels actually worth something.

"There is a big difference between cameras aside from megapixels."

Durn well hope so. For sure, a big difference in PRICE. Don't be afraid to challenge progress all ye shoppers of the world... I drive a 17 year old Camry,nice condition. Big difference in the latest V6 's with cylinders that turn on and off. Both arrive at my HI/H2 traffic jam at the same time.Yes, I exaggerate to make some point,but the poor folk here,like me and Dale, get it. I gave up concerts. Got tinnitus too often :-). Shoot in leafy glades anymore. ISO 100.

When I need to shoot at a teppenyaki table I could either use flash or rent something. Hot spuds, 6400 and no noise reduction. Call the Guiness Book of Records. Headline in Globe: "Man shoots chef at bar. Noise ninja not needed" Gewalt..I understand what y'all are saying here. Point of diminishing returns for some is my comeback. Give us five years and they will all shoot low and sweet. Wanna bet?

<P><i>This thread came to mind as I was reading some comments that for B/W, film is superior to the digital medium.</i></P>

<P></P>

<P>From about ISO 100 to 800, I can produce B&W 8x10's from a 6 MP DSLR that are identical to 8x10 prints of the same scene made from 35mm B&W film. Both darkroom and film scan prints. I don't think much difference would be found at larger sizes either, looking at sections up close. At higher ISO settings, at least with my camera, digital noise and less DR make a match more difficult. You basically want to start with a clean DSLR image and then add a grain scan layer to get the grainy look of high ISO B&W, but if you have digital noise to begin with it doesn't come off right. Newer cameras do much better at high ISO and give much cleaner images, so the conversion would be easier.</P>

<P></P>

<P>The key thing is to shoot and darkroom print some B&W film so you start to get a feel for how it looks. Then you can get the conversion right in Photoshop so your B&W digital shots have the same "look" or tonal curve. This takes some practice, shooting the same scene with both and then working to match the digital image to the film print.</P>