shooting for a landscape co.

davemoss

hello,

i am going to quote a job for a landscaping architect. he wants shots that are

typical in your santa barbara/orange coast/la living type magazines, that he can

use for brochures, ads and etc.

i have never priced a job like this, so typically, what might i factor in? i

don't wan to seem like i don't know what i am doing, althiugh, these jobs i have

never officially charged for.

i am competent in my abilities to get great shots, but don't know what to ask.

these are really nice homes, in some ritzy neighborhoods in so cal, so i don't

want to give the work away.

would, say $400.00 for the day, with maybe 20 edited images per house sound

reasonable? i have a week to get this done, and don't know anyone local that

does this type of photography. not that i would ask them anyway. the internet is

much safer for that ;=)

and as far as gear, i will just shoot my 5d and rent a TS lens. i also have

other primes too, bu i figure a 28mm should be as wide as i'd want to go. these

will all be outdoor shots, no interiors.

thanks

Dave,

You seem to be on the right track. I do interior and exterior work for realtors, painters, etc, and a day rate is usually how I charge. Personally, I think your price is low, especially considering your area, but that's for you to decide. I've always been told I was low, so I started raising my prices slowly in the last year or so, and haven't gotten any objections from any of my clients.

Factor in travel, time shooting, time color correcting and editing, and think about charging a usage fee for use in the magazine. I don't have any experience in usage, that's a question for someone else.

Bottom line, I think if it were me, considering that area, I'd charge somewhere around $1000 a day.

That's just me.

Good luck, and let us know how it all turns out.

Brad

Brad,

Thanks for the input. I thought the 1k might be better for a day, but again, since I have never done one, I didn't want to blow the guy away. We are meeting today at the house, and I can determine from there how much time it will take, but with shooting and editing (and possibly rental equipment), I am now thinking 1K a day wouldn't be too bad.

Thanks, and I'll post back after I either get it, or don't.

Wow, after seeing the properties (3), i would definitely say 1k a day would be more in line with what i should charge. i will need to spend at least one day per house anyway. the light will be best at both times, in all locations. unfortunately, i can't clone myself, so multiple day shoots are going to be necessary.

thanks again for the input, and i'll post if i get the job.