Transatlantic travel

sagephotoworld.com

At the moment I'm planning a trip to see my parents who I haven't seen in 3

years. I want to take some decent portraits of them so I'm thinking in terms of

mid-range lenses such as the 17-85 and 28-75. I'll also take my 70-300 and I'd

like to squeeze in my 420EX, 430EX, XT+BGE3 and STE-2.

I had been thinking about a Pelican 1500 on the basis that if there's another

security scare and everything gets chucked in the hold again then at least it'll

survive the journey. I am not impressed by the pull-out foam. I'd much rather

use dividers. Today I looked quickly at a Quantaray case - the 1813 - which

seemed solidly built but which had a rather soft foam insert that seemed to me

to be too weak for any practical use.

In my other thread (I decided a retitled thread was in order) somebody suggested

a backpack. That's an interesting option I hadn't considered. I was interested

in putting a laptop in but then realised that the laptop alone would be heavy

and would take up more space than I'm willing to relinquish unless I went for an

eepc which is 8.86" x 6.30" x 0.79-1.26" and at that kind of size I probably

could carry a laptop too.

Has anybody any backpack suggestions? My preferance is toward a cheaper backpack

but only if it's going to protect my gear adequately. Heaven knows - I might end

up buying a sheet of thick canvas and start stitching it together myself at this

rate!

I have suggested here many times that you should *never* put any camera bodies/lenses in your checked baggage. You have a real problem if it doesn't arrive at your destination.

As for backpacks, I use Lowepro but others use ThinkTank, Tamrac, etc. My AW MiniTrekker fits my lenses and one body easily and best of all, it fits under my airline seat instead of the overhead compartment. I have traveled four continents with it and no problems at all.

I use a separate carry-on for my laptop but Lowepro and others have backpacks large enough to include a laptop. The only downside to a larger bag, it will have to go in the airline overhead. That means boarding early to insure there is space for your bag.

If you are interested, check out some of your choices.....

http://products.lowepro.com/catalog/Backpacks,2.htm

LowePro makes several backpacks (and other bags) that hold a laptop. I have a Computrekker and Computrekker Plus, which have the same capacity as a Minitrekker and Phototrekker respectively. Each has a laptop pocket in the back which adds about an inch to the overall thickness and takes about an inch from the inside. The Computrekker will hold a 15" laptop and the Plus will hold a 17". Both are within the size limits for carryon baggage.

A laptop adds a lot of weight, but it makes sense if you are going through Heathrow (1 carry-on max). Otherwise, I carry the laptop in its own case as my "personal" item. Needless to say, the laptop stays behind when I'm out an about during the day. I have a Lenovo T60, which has a 15" screen.

Computrekker bags have an ingenious tripod carrier which keeps the tripod really low and in the center, making it more stable when walking. It holds a Gitzo G-1227 (24") or G-1340 (27") with ease. Most of the time I just carry the tripod by hand or on a shoulder strap.

Thinktank backpacks (and rollers) have provisions for laptops too. My "Airport Addicted" has a zipper pouch in the back, like the Lowepro bags. Some have laptop attachments which strap to the front of the bag. I can't say much for the tripod carrier.

Around home, I use the computer pocket for Color Checker charts, maps and one or more of my floppy hats.

You have to assume that you may have to check everything, despite what Bruce Margolis says. I was in England when one of the periodic changes of security regulations happened, and only carried on a paperback book. I wasn't allowed anything else.

Nat Geo photographers travel the world with huge amounts of gear checked, so do video crews. While it is best to try to take as much as you can on the plane, it isn't always possible. Also, smaller aircraft may force you to check everything because there just isn't room.

Jeff, your situation was very unique and it applies only when flying out of the UK. Yes, they had more carry-on restrictions than anyone but are coming into line with other countries now. It has no effect on his flight to get there.

Interesting, in Paris I had to go through three security checks before boarding. Nevertheless, they still allowed the usual two carry-ons.

For regional airlines, I have had to check my laptop case but I still carry on my photo backpack and laptop. Never a problem.

As for NG and other pros, of course they check their equipment. Well, at least most of it. But no one messes with their gear. The stuff that always ends up missing comes from tourists and you will have a fight trying to get reimbursed.

My wife likes to use TSA locks. At least she used to. She learned the hard way, even the locks were stolen on two separate flights. Any reimbursement? Get real.

Yeah, I suppose it's possible that at any given point in time, there could be extreme airport security issues. I am sure if TSA and other countries had their way, everyone would board naked with no carry-ons. Fortunately we haven't got to that point yet.

If you have a problem with size at the boarding gate (highly unusual), you can usually check the bag there. If so, it goes into a special cargo area rather than the general baggage hold.

In practical terms, the risk of loss always falls on the traveler, unless you value your gear at $50 a pound. That's why we have insurance.

My understanding was that luggage that was checked was not permitted insurance by the insurance companies.

Having said that, I'm now looking at the 1504 as a potential case. That has the benefits of the padded dividers and a hard exterior.

I looked at the Lowepro backpacks and they all seemed to be over the 9" depth limit. I realise that they squash a bit but I have seen some very pedantic boarding staff.

Similarly the Tamrac bags are long on fat and thin on the other dimensions.

Yes. I'm looking at different options. There are a lot of sturdy cases in Sportsman's Warehouse used for carrying pistols that look quite decent. Having said that, the Pelican 1500 is sold there as a pistol case with the pluck foam. Ritz has for $60 a rather nifty Quantaray case that is small enough to fit within all the specified dimensions. I know my longest lens if 5.6" long from end to end.

Jack - you're absolutely right. The guncases are light on weathersealing aside from the Pelican 1750 Weapons case which is very desirable. The cheapo Quantaray case is light on weathersealing and padding.

Actually, padding really isn't a great issue. I have a hot glue gun, a knife and a roll of 1/4" closed cell foam from a camping shop. I found in Britain my camera bags had bad padding in places and I used that to replace the ineffective padding. Best of all - it was dirt cheap!

It keeps coming back to that Pelican 1500, doesn't it? It fits the space and I think I can keep my 420EX, 420EX and 70-300 IS in vertical orientation which saves a ton of space. I do know that it doesn't have backpack portability.

On the other hand, that Canon 200 backpack looks pretty darned good too.

In the end I bought the Canon 200EG backpack from B&H. I figure that if it will hold everything people say it will then I'm going to be very happy.

I went out and measured just about every box and bag around. The Pelican 1500 is very desirable but the only reason I went for the cheaper Canon backpack rather than the hard case that I originally desired was that I thought it might be nice to have both hands free. I only intend to take one suitcase - a hard sided case. As that will have wheels, I could carry a Pelican but a backpack is so much more convenient.