AT-1 Stopped

grain

My cleanest AT-1 body which I was shooting a simple tripod mounted interior shot with, stopped. I

didn't have time to figure it out so I finished with my A1 and went home. When I opened her up,

thinking it was a battery dead, the battery tested fine. Then as I was messing with it trying to figure why

it wouldn't advance, the timer went off but it wasn't in the timer position. Then the wind lever freed up

and advanced, but it doesn't cock the shutter or advance anything. The last point is my biggest problem.

I really like this camera. It's spotless and has given much service. Is it dead for good? or have any of you

folks seen a fix for this? (I suspect a rewind release sticking.)

Thanks, A.

Stuck rewind thing sounds like the culprit with the wind lever. My AE-1P wind lever

sometimes comes loose from the spool because of that, but if I monkey with enough, it

usually fixes itself. I don't why it wouldn't cock the shutter. I'm pretty sure there is a magnet

in the shutter mechanism of the A series cameras that sometimes gets things stuck. The

timer thing seems really odd. I would get it looked at. I hope it's nothing too big.

-Taylor

This might be a good time to think about an F-1 in any version. You would have a manual camera with a more sophisticated metering system, and, with a CLA (clean, lube, adjust), an indestructible lifetime camera. The ONLY advantage to the AT-1 I can see is the incredibly light weight, a natural for backpacking with the very compact 35mm f 2.8 or 28mmm f3.5 SC. If you really like your AT-1, it may be cheaper just to buy another one at KEH.com.