Pentax retiring FA lenses

wpoupore

Last fall I was looking over the lenses listed on the Pentax web site. At that time it included many pre-

DA lenses. With the body and lens announcements last week I went back to the Pentax site to see what

new info they had posted. The good news is that Pentax now has 16 DA lenses listed. (By comparison

Nikon's site shows 10 DX lenses) The bad news is that almost all the other lenses are gone. There are

still three FA Limited lenses, two D FA Macro lenses, and the FA 50 1.4, but all the other lenses are

gone.

Does this put to rest any doubts that Pentax is fully committed to crop bodies and has no plans for a FF

camera.

http://www.pentaxslr.com/lenses

Here is the complete list of lenses:

DA* 16-50mm

DA* 50-135mm

DA* 200mm

DA* 300mm

DA 10-17mm

DA 12-24mm

DA 16-45mm

DA 18-55mm II

DA 18-250mm

DA 50-200mm

DA 55-300mm

DA 14mm

DA 21mm Limited

DA 35mm Macro Limited

DA 40mm Limited

DA 70mm Limited

D FA 50mm Macro

D FA 100mm Macro

FA 50mm F1.4

FA 31mm Limited

FA 43mm Limited

FA 77mm Limited

"Does this put to rest any doubts that Pentax is fully committed to crop bodies and has no plans for a FF camera?"

You might want to look a Nikon for an answer to that. I'll bet that you'll see a ton of new Pentax lenses for full frame in the future. Pentax wants to sell you new hardware, just like Nikon, Canon, Sony....

I'd love Pentax to release a FF camera and new FF lenses...so that eBay prices for FA lenses would become realistic for used gear. At the current prices, you'd think the lenses were gold plated. Just try getting an FA 24mm f/2; they used to go for $350 at B&H, on eBay I've seen them sell for well over $500.

OK, OK, I apologise. Rant over!

That's right, WJ, the FF lenses are fine on a DSLR. Which FA 28-80? I know the first one really is quite good, as recently proved by Hin Man here recently.

FF digital, as can be seen with Canon and now Nikon, is expensive and appeals to a very limited market. My FF shooting cameras are my beautiful Pentax film models, which do a fine job.

I can see replacing some of these FA lens models with new DA's having a different wide to long FL, but no need to replace others.

My 2 cents. Pentax can only be as fully committed to crop bodies as Nikon Can be. Somewhere in time, Nikon has to put a FF body at their D300 $1800 price. What is interesting is when all these Nikon and Canon FF "used" bodies get old and drop to $1000 or so. Don't get rid of your FA lens just yet.

well, as long as people are bidding lenses..... I can get that FA 24mm out of your way for a

minimum of trouble at $200! We're more trustworthy - we're in the heartland!!

Have pity on me. I'm in the middle of a barely interesting state. My LBA is in full force,

and our $$ has to go to the coming fam reunion in the only state uglier than ours.... OH.

At least it's cooler in Aug than we will be.... and we really really really NNEEEEED a new

lens for the driving we'll be doing in MI.

c'mon.... PITY ME!!!