I have been practicing nature photography as a hobby for many years and I have

a quality selection of photos that I believe could sell. Being a woodworker, I

have been building exquisite natural wood frames to frame my prints, and the

results have stunned everyone who has seen them so far. I really think these

complete pieces of art could sell in the proper venue, but I have no idea where

to start. I have thought about setting up a booth at a local craft show. I

have observed other photographers who do this, but they usually only sell

prints or matted prints at very low prices, and I do not think the people who

frequent these events are the type to lay out more than a few bucks for art.

Probably a fine art show or gallery would be more appropriate, but I have no

experience in this area. Any suggestions for getting started? Any books

perhaps to point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Ronn

There are usually three venues for a fine art photographer to sell their work through:

1. Street Fairs. The good annual ones can cost $200-$500 to get into, plus you need to buy a booth and display walls and take into consideration travel expenses. But all income levels of people attend. I've known some photographers to make $10,000-$15,000 in a three day show because there work is really good. I had a friend who choose this route and was spending 6 mts a year on the road traveling all over the country attending 20-30 shows a year and neting over $100,000/yr, but he was also burning himself out fast doing so. There are also, in some towns, weekly art/craft shows, but the wealthy seldom attend.

2.Consignment at small shops, either at businesses like coffee shops or gift shops. And if you have enough of them you can make some money. But from what I've heard from those who have tried it, getting paid can be something of a challange.

3. Selling through a gallery. This has the most prestige but getting into one is usually difficult and they sometimes take 60% or more of the sale price.

Of all the options listed the first gives you the most direct control over your work and money. But it also entails the most work. Hobbyist, who have regular day jobs, usually choose the second.

Good luck.

samples, the only way to tell you anything is to see some samples.

Are you selling fine art quality prints, or are you selling fine art frames? Ive never been big on frames that take away from the image, unless it's a frame that's for display. . .

I like thin, simple frames that do NOT distract from the print, in fact, some images look best without any frame at all. . .

So, show ups a couple samples and tell us where you live, location is everything . . .

My advise, contact your local Public library, if none available, book a local coffee shop.

Contact oyur local papers.

Invite all family, friends, colleagues and neighbours.

Hold an exhibition of your work.

It is overpowering to do for your first...but, you get a great deal of excitement - you show off your photo's in your frames and lastly you get to sell direct from the exhibition and still choose to sell more with/without frames.

Having on online gallery then allows viewers to go away and look online, and contact you later if they wish to purchase more.

Best of luck