Not so "Super" anymore.

richard_brum

I bought my K100D Super around Thanksgiving. Now I'm having the buyer's remorse

after seeing the spec sheets for the K200D.

It's got RAW+ JPG, a dedicate RAW button, its weather-sealed, and of course, the

10mp sensor. (If that really is an upgrade remains to be seen)

All that's missing is some info on the buffer size, though I'd be really

surprised if they didn't improve it somewhat.

Don't feel bad. I have a k100d and I'm not the least bit interested in the new k200d.

The small buffer is probably the most annoying feature of the k100, and guess what? The k200d has only got a 4 shot buffer. Not very impressive.

Seeing as it appears to be using the k10d sensor, the k10d would be a much better option. It has a much better user interface and buffer, and is cheaper!

Well, the K200 does not really sound like much of an upgrade to the K100D super and is clearly a downgrade to the K10D.. iF anything, I like the HIGH ISO performance of the K100D super, so it in a way is a step down...Sure you pick up more resolution, but unless your printing larger than 10x8 or so, you will never miss it...

Richard,

Don't feel too bad. The new K200D is simply part of the press release and is aimed mainly at folks who have not had a Pentax dslr in the past. The exciting news today is the K20D, not the K200D.

If you have a K100D Super and you're happy with it, then don't worry about the K200D. It will not take better photos than the camera you've got already. It's possible that the K20D has done something brilliant with the sensor to allow it to have expanded dynamic range--but whatever they've done with the K20D, they have NOT done with the k200D. Don't envy those extra megapixels. They don't do much for your photos and they take up a LOT more space on your hard disk.

If you feel the urge to buy a new camera, get a K10D. If you feel the urge to buy something, get a nice new lens which will make a bigger difference to your photography than a new body.

Welcome to the wonderful world of technology.

I have a 400mHz G4 and I remember when it came out (I was working in a Mac shop). It

was the first real desktop supercomputer. UNBELIEVABLY fast!

By today's standards is a dog, but it still works as my web server with no complaints.

Your 2 month old camera is only inferior in your own mind. If you were happy with it and

it did what you wanted it to yesterday, it still does what you want it to today...

I've been shooting for 25 years and I have NEVER had a flagship camera in my bag. I

bought three K10D's this year and have ZERO remorse.

Well, the K200 is nice compared to its competition- it has the weather sealing, a first I believe in an entry DSLR. The RAW plus JPEG is also a nice feature, and the RAW button. That is a very nice thing about Pentax- they don't get stingy with their entry level cameras. They have a host of professional level features as well, as does the K100D.

For me, being able to shoot decent quality at higher ISO has become an important advantage for a DSLR. The K100D is apparently superior in this regard over the K200D. It has a top ISO setting of 3200, where the K200D, like the K10D, tops out at 1600. I have used my K100D at 1600 ISO with good results, and plan to try 3200 ISO, being careful not to underexpose at all. The K200 is a miniscule larger by 1/10" and 2 oz heavier. Amazingly compact for a 10MP weather resistant DSLR.

So I still consider the K100 as overall the best compact model with its low noise high ISO capability and fine out of camera JPEG quality. I might even get a Super just in case I ever decide for one of those SDM lenses.

My real interest in the new models is for the K20D. This is a complete redesign, encorporating the excellent operational features and control layout of the K10D. It also has ISO 3200 setting with new low noise technology, and other new features. Very interested to see how the test reviews go. So for me the K100 as a compact for SR, fine JPEGS and good at high ISO, my old ist*-D as my RAW shooting compact, and perhaps the K20D as my full size model. Anyone who owns a good compact and a Limited lens knows the value of that combo.

I see the K20D as a big advancement, no corners cut there.

But the K200D doesn't seem like much to write home about. It's only about 40g lighter than the K10D with rechargeable batteries (because Li-Ion is much lighter than NiMH), and it has that small buffer.

And you can get the K10D kit for $600 right now, while the K200D kit will be $800 when it comes out. On the other hand, if the K200D falls to the $450 price of the K100D Super kit, that will be a phenomenal value.

Personally, I would have liked to see the following in the k200d:

- smaller, lighter body

- better AF lock / tracking

- better auto-exposure

- bigger buffer

- penta-prism viewfinder

- dedicated ISO, metering and focus point buttons

Unfortunately it's likely none of those improvements have made it into the new camera. Not surprising, since it is aimed at first-time SLR users. But it would be good to see them also produce a camera for more advanced amateurs who want something small but which also handles well. Seems like a small street camera like that would be a great niche which would match really well with Pentax's lens lineup. I find it a bit odd that Pentax has really got the market covered when it comes to both small and prime lenses, but don't really have a nice small body to match (isn't that why a lot of people are still using their DS bodies?).

I'd also like them to focus on getting their AF and auto-exposure systems working a bit better. Matrix-metering is pretty dodgey on my k100d, and I can't focus on a 2 year-old kid waddling towards me very well. They're not very "sexy" features but would make a big difference on those occasions when I need to snap away and let the camera take care of exposure and focus.

Oh well, I wasn't expecting much with the k200d so I'm not surprised. But Pentax should really look at doing an up-to-date version of the DS.

I echo Matt's sentiments 100%.

If the camera did what you wanted when you got it, unless you feel you are no longer getting results, it's not time to upgrade (unless you want to). Of course if upgrading makes you happy, go for it!

I never feel compelled to upgrade unless the new product simply blows away what I have, and then, only if the new features were on my original list of things I wanted.

The K10D was that against the ist D i had/have, but I still love the D and still use it. If and when it bites the dust, it will have lived a fine life.

Don't forget that portability plays a huge part in usability.. I have small cameras and large

cameras - I would always prefer to use the small cameras for their convenience factor

however, they don't produce the images I want and, well, that's the bottom line!

Ps. God I don't miss the days of the bottom line ;) Limelight neither...

I just blacked out the one on my K10D with a Sharpie and put in a two with white-out. I'm good.

Seriously, look at the Pentaxian Photo Gallery site. Pick out a nice prime under equipment and you can really see an amazing difference in quality from their cheaper glass (like the kit lens). Then I'll look at the camera the photograph was taken with and it's always a surprise. Could be anything from the ist to the K10D. So much is in the glass.

[seriously, look at the Pentaxian Photo Gallery site. Pick out a nice prime under equipment and you can really see an amazing difference in quality from their cheaper glass (like the kit lens)]

I did that just the other day, and I was rather underwhelmed with the shots made by the 43mm f1.9 Ltd. At the kind of resolutions that are posted on the PPG site I'd go further and say that, not only does the camera not really matter, but the lens often doesn't matter much either... it all comes back to the photographer and the creativity with which they have shot the subject.

Ashley, of course you can take the best lens in the world on the best camera and make a lousy picture.. even off focus! Seeing a good lens put to good use is a different matter. The playing field has to be even to distinquish superior potential.

If shooting at low res, then that becomes the limiting factor.

Ashley, I'm really looking at the 50-135 for myself. I do not think I could get a lot of those shots with the kit lens. Don't get me wrong. I love my 18-55 and my 50-200, but there are a few shots that stretch their capabilities. A lot of cityscape/landscape type shots like "Jewel of the Seas" in 50-135 or the nuances in detail when I take a picture with variations in a similar color like "Blue Ice" (two photographs on the site). I'm not getting that out of my current lenses and I've tried.

I'm always happy to be wrong, though if you want to show me different.

~Morgan

Morgan, those are nice shots. Probably would need to stop down to f8 to get quality like that on the kit lens, and I see that these were done at 2.8 and 5.6. I'd like to think the kit lens could handle the colours, but I guess you wouldn't be getting great IQ on the kit lens at those apertures (in fact, you can't get anything on the kit lens at f2.8!).

I use the K100 and love it, and was tempted by the K200, but after hearing the confirmed specs, I don't think so. If they had managed to include the pentaprism, maybe, but not just for 4MP, sealing, and a RAW button/+JPG.

The grip makes it more tempting, but if I'm gonna do that I'll just try to get a K10.