Need replacement bulbs for a no name system

I bought a no name brand studio lighting kit from an ebay store

(studios4less$.com). THe system works well enough and when I have enough money

to get a fabulous lighting set up (used) I will. For now this kit is okay

EXCEPT that the ONLY literature that came is a single sheet of paper with

english and japanese writings). There is no contact info or brand name info or

bulb or fuse reorder info. I have been really lucky not to need a back up

model light or strobes or a fuse of any kind. I'm not even sure how to repace

anything other than the modeling light which easily unscrews.

The seller won't answer any emails and ebay and paypal haven't come up with any

contact info other than the ebay seller's store email. All unanswered even

though he still is selling the same kit and other cheap products.

I need to get replacement bulbs.

What dealer can anyone recommend I turn to?

I'm hoping I can take photos of the light and it's bulbs and someone can help

me at the right store but I don't know where to begin.

The ONLY thing printed on the side of the lights is "SL-300 studio flash".

HELP! Please answer me at viki.reed@comcast.net because I'm afraid I'll miss

an answer just posted on the forum. HELP!

Thank you so much.

What markings are on the bulbs in the unit now? Modeling lights in some units are just a standard household screw-in base and you can use anything from a household bulb to a quartz lamp with a screwin base (such as Novatron). Others require a very specific bulb but virtually all bulbs are marked as to what type they are, either in watts and volts or with a special three letter code. Fuses are very standardized and are also marked. Any electronics store -- Radio Shack for example, should have replacement if you bring in the original. Flashtubes are a different story -- they are usually specific to the make and model of strobe and are not always replaceable by the user. Fortunately they last a very long time. As a beginner you are highly unlikely to wear one out. The more I write the more it occurs to be that you have skipped some very obvious steps of just looking at the bulb and fuse yourself and now I see you expect people to email you because you're not sure you can remember to comem back to the forum?

I know that taking the bulbs out and photographing them would help. Yes, I did google SL 300. Nothing led me to a type of bulb which I can then continue to hunt down.

But I came to you folks in addition to everything else I've been attacking, hoping someone can refer me to solid reputable company-then I could send shots of the bulbs to their sales person and get the appropriate replacements.

I didn't want to touch ANYTHING without having a recommendation in the event that I break something because I have a few shoots coming.

YES I really do know that it would've been way smarter to buy a brand name lighting set up, used or not, but I had just moved here and hadn't worked at all and my funds for starting up were limited.

I was living in California where I used natural light for EVERYTHING (set up my backdrops in the back yard and had a blast). But now I'm in NJ where it's gray cold and wet and sunshine is unpredictable if m mostly unavailable most of the year. I did the best I could with the money I had at the time. I even considered doing a strictly speedlight set up to bide my time and a most excellent dotphoto.net member pro who's not remotely obnoxious or self satisfied with knowing everything under the sun and disdainful of anyone not as great kindly very very kindly suggested I take the hit and get real studio lights.

The lights have worked but I've pushed it as far as finding replacement bulbs. I would LOVE to go on ebay and buy a super set of used but classic studio lights, even piece by piece; I've come close but I have a family and I have to balance expenses and priorities.

SO I'm trying to keep this set up going. Cheap and no name as it is, it's allowed me to work without taking out of the money I've invested in good glass and computer power and software and printer ink and other things I need to buy all year long.

The make and model of the strobe is so mysterious that I wasn't sure where to go for a replacement or if there was anything I needed to know like, 'hey stupid, all strobes that are X watts are universal' or something like that.

I scoured the sheet of paper the light kit came with and nothing on it led me to any manufacturer. I'm more worried about a kid or client knocking a light over my 'burning it out'

I shoot once or twice a week. I'm not too worried about the modeling light becuase it's easily removed and photographed. I just wanted to know any expert old hand info before attempting to remove the strobe light bulb (which is a circular tube). Not even sure where the fuse is. This IS new to me but I don't have the luxury of learning about it by breaking it so I came to experts. Can you put your ego in your pants and not be so hard on someone who's trying to ask for help, not a handout.

I've never had to use lights before so other than the end product which so far has been excellent; I am a beginner with lighting.

I'm also asking people to email directly so I get the answer right away. I have the main digital camera forum on my RSS feed and read it all daily but I also have 3 kids and a husband who works all day in the city and life can be chaotic. I forget important things all the time becuase sleep deprivation is DEADLY. Give me a break and get over yourself.

Viki -- If you're in North Jersey, take the whole unit and go into B&H Photo in Manhattan and show it to them and they will tell you exactly what you need. If you're in South Jersey, go into Mid-City Camera in Philly and they will take care of you. The modeling light and fuses are most certainly easy to replace. The flash tube might not be as easy. But you may be worried about something that isn't going to be a problem -- it will take a long time to wear out a flash tube and fuses don't typically pop in a flash unit unless something is wrong with it. Having a kid know it over and break something is a risk, but my own kids have managed to avoid that over the past dozen years.

• 4 weeks later...