Canon's influence in Japan and around the world

Many of the people on this forum photograph stunning landscapes and beautiful

species (from animals to insects). With the way we (industrialised countries)

treat our planet, our gouvernments inability to define a clear response to the

threat of global warming and the endangernment of many species, in a few years,

those landscapes and those species will be present only in our collective

imaginations. We must find a way to counteract the threat of an ecological

disaster. As photographers we have the ability to capture natures beauty and

put it on show for the rest of the world.

What's this have to do with canon equipment? bear with me. I will give one

example among many others. Japanese whalers continue to scour the oceans and

kill whales without discrimination (oh no not another tree hugging, save the

whales rant... like I said bear with me). Whales contribute alot to the oceans

fragile ecosystems and thus are invaluble to our entire planetary ecosystem

(simply put...). That being said, Canon is among the most powerful companies in

Japan (and prominent around the world). It's president is also president of the

entire investor/buisness circle in Japan and thus has enormous influence.

As canon equipment users and buyers, artists and just plain human beings, I

should think we have a duty to try to push Canon into being proactive in the

fight for our environment (and consequently the whales). I know they've been

publishing adds in National Geographic since 1981 saying they are doing

something and kudos to them. But is it enough? I therefor ask you to try and do

something about this situation, be it by getting the information out there,

writing e-mails, contacting Canon directly, through your photography, etc.

It's time to wake up and do something for a planet that has done so much for

us.

Thank you

Erik

*info was taken from Greenpeace newletter

<i>With the way we (industrialised countries) treat our planet, our gouvernments inability to define a clear response to the threat of global warming and the endangernment of many species, in a few years, those landscapes and those species will be present only in our collective imaginations.</i>

How did those landscapes and species survive the Roman and Medieval warm periods?

Heck, how did we survive the 1930's?

Australia and like minded nations have formally meaning diplomatically urged Japan to cut back on whaling. Meager effects these entreaties... Japan is one of the nations that hunts whale meat for the local consumption palate. (I personally prefer sushi with albacore,which is not now endangered but now accumulates methyl mercury which screws with my frontal lobes and will make ME an endangered species perhaps. I cut back on tuna. That helps me,but not Willy.Where to next)

Photographers may be already a politically savvy, active lot. The better question, Erik, is what button push might get serious action? I have given this some real thought over the years as a neo bolshevik not a Canon user lately. Here's my idea,Erik. What do you think of this tactic-

Next time you go to a Starbucks for corporate coffee,don't,do not touch or even half way bus your own table. Not a napkin,not a straw,not a crumb! Leave a note easel card at the table " I do this for the environment,coffee growers and marine mammals."

Think of this folks,think of the economic impact. If we all stopped busing our own tables (which we do like robots),then McD (egg mcmuffin cartel) and Starbucks and Jack in the Box and all the chain managers will make demands at embassies all over the global fast food world. This is real activism and it is my own idea. Invented here in Photo Net by real people with a subversive streak :-)... Camera company entreaties? Piffle. Real revolution hurts bottom line. Yes, I say stop busing your own table. (You are mad as hell,well moderately so, and won't take environmental indifference a day longer. But if you do the carry out number,we will have to think of something else. I kid you not. I do not make fun of the goal,just disagree with the nice guy approach. gs

Erik, I applaud your environmental concern but I don't think you can connect Canon to Japanese whaling just because they both happen to be Japanese.

Whaling is a very complex business often driven by national pride and tradition. In Iceland the licenses for whaling have not all been taken up recently. The reason is that whale meat is seen in Iceland as not good to eat, and rather an old fuddy-duddy thing that one's grandparents might do. Icelandic whalers cannot sell their catches so they don't hunt them so much.

The main argument about whales in the world today is betwen eating them or watching them. Most countries signed up to the IWC want to watch whales and make money out of them that way. As Canon are leading manufacturers of 'watching equipment' my guess is they are already on the side of the watchers rather than the eaters.

According to "The Daily Show" the other night, Icelanders love whale after it's been peed on. Personally, I don't get it, but I'll need to consult The Inside Joke Factory.

BTW, according to Radio Australia on shortwave tonight, Greens & Peas have called off the hunt for Japanese whalers. Apparently Japanese whalers have been declared an endangered species and may no longer be harassed.

"" "...a village idiot from texas..."

Hey, when you insult my state, you better capitalize that T, podnuh.

The shrub, OTOH, you may relegate to lower case.""

Nothing wrong with your state (I don't think he was trying to insult Texas) - just references the current horrific "leader" of this country. If he left out Texas, it could be any one of hundreds or possibly thousands of village idiots that make up quite a few of the politicians, at least everyone knows who he is talking about.

Dennis