Hi, opened up my sb800 to find a slightly corroded battery in one of the

chambers , immediately took it out and cleaned the entire chamber as best as i

could without dismantling it. I can see the contact at the bottom has some

corrosion. I am not too good at that kind of thing and the flash is too

expensive for me to be tinkering with it. Anyway it will not turn on even with

brand new batteries. Has anyone used a reputable repair person in the north

carolina area or elsewhere.. If i have to ship it I will..i live in the myrtle

beach, sc/wilmington nc area...thanks

A common suggestion is to use an eraser. Don't bother unless you can get the right kind. A pencil eraser will just smear a smudgy goo all over the contact.

The right kind is an ink eraser from an old pen or, better yet, for erasing typing. However, these are very abrasive and may damage gold plated contacts. I reserve a few strictly for chromed contacts or others that are so badly corroded it can't do any harm.

CLR (calcium, lime, rust remover) can be useful but should be applied v-e-r-y carefully and patiently. Just a wee droplet on a cotton swab.

But, as you've observed, the SB-800 is expensive and should be properly repaired. I'd tackle it myself only on a 20-year-old SB-800, which means I'll hafta wait awhile.

Baking soda works for leakage from carbon zinc batteries (acid), not alkalines. For alkalines try distilled white vinegar or CLR. Either way, use it sparingly on several moistened cotton swabs rather than one or two soaking wet swabs. Finish up with distilled water.

Scrape the bulk of the residue off with something like a popsicle stick whittled to a convenience point/edge. In the worst cases I've used brass tips I've shaped to suit, but that's a lot of hassle and not necessary for minor corrosion.

If you even suspect the corrosion has extended inside the flash, send it off for servicing. Once it gets onto those fine wires and contacts it'll just keep eating away.