Lens for Ski Races

kristin_speed

I might be going to a world cup race and will be at the bottom of the hill and

was wondering if my 70-200 lens will be long enough to get the skiiers after the

cross the finish line (obviously not expecting to get any action shots from this

position, more like shots of their reactions when seeing their time or whatever

at the bottom).

Thanks!

I actually got to go a ski race once, just in the audience however. The photojournalists were

everywhere- a lot of different angles. The ones at the bottom were using some pretty big

glass I remember though- probably anywhere from 400 to 600... probably with TC. You

could get creative though with the 70-200, maybe from mid hill? I'm not sure if that's

possible though

On what body?

200mm on an APS-C body will give you a full framed tight Full Length (Portrait) shot of the skier at a Subject Distance 40 feet; and will be just ok for a person to fill the frame for SD = 60ft (Landscape).

What`s the width of the bottom of the run? (guess 100 to 150 feet?)

How deep is the crowd, and how close the ropes are you?

Without some hard facts we only have guessometry, but a good x1.4 tele converter might be useful.

WW

This weekend is the ESPN Winter X-Games and I have been shooting most of it with my 70-200 on a Canon 1D-Mark III with some pretty good results. Shooting at the largest resolution helps when images need to be cropped when I am simply too far away. Only problems with this lens are when the evening events are going on and I am not able to open the lens up enough to capture fast action, (f/4) so I am ramping the ISO up to compensate. At the bottom of the runs, the lens was more than enough.