BO CA vs BO KAY - poll or how you guys say it

stillbound

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh

Bokeh (from the Japanese boke, "blur") is a photographic term referring to the appearance of out-of-focus areas in an image produced by a camera lens.[1] Different lens bokeh produces different aesthetic qualities in out-of-focus backgrounds, which are often used to reduce distractions and emphasize the primary subject. The effect itself is the circle of confusion, an image of the aperture convolved by the image itself.

Also at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh

Mike Johnston, former editor of Photo Techniques magazine, claims to have coined the bokeh spelling to suggest the correct pronunciation to English speakers,[2] replacing the previous spelling boke that derived directly from the Japanese word for "fuzzy" and had been in use at least since 1996.[3]

The term bokeh has appeared in photography books at least since 2000.[4]

Without wishing to start an international incident (I live in UK) I have noticed that the custom in the US is to pronounce any foreign language word with the stress on the last syllable regardless of the pronunciation in the original language. An example might be 'beef fil-LAY' for fillet or 'bal-LAY' for ballet.

Given this rule the pronunciation of 'Bokeh' in American English, irrespective of its original prounciation, has to be 'Bo-KAY'.

Joshua, you are quite right, 'fillet' is the anglicised version and pronounced in a no nonsense 'fill-it' way here. My point is that american english has a characteristic way of dealing with foreign words that will probably get applied anyway.

But my French was a little hazy there. What is the French for 'background blur'?

Pronunciation :

If you can say bonsai, not bone-sai (or Bob as in Atkins) you've got the bo right - the "o"

in boke is short.

If you can say kendo (or keg, as Bob suggests) you've got the ke right - BTW the o in

kendo is long, like the o in violin bOw.

"Kay" is always wrong : if the Japanese pronounced it "kay" it would be written as bokei)

And kah is not in the running :)

That is, if you want to say it how the Japanese say it.

Origin:

Hard to be definitive without a bilingual photography expert from Japan but

Bob, I read your article and propose a different origin : According to Jim Breen, for

example, it is written in Japanese with a Chinese character (Kanji Unicode U+6688 -

Nelson 2151) that is not the same as the one used for senile (perhaps a convenient and

amusing similarity of meaning!)

暈ける 【ぼける】 (v1,vi) to be faded; to be hazy; to be blurred; to be out of focus;

The phonetic characters here are transcribed as "bokeru", as a verb form.

If your browser is confused by those characters see

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1MDJ%DA%F4%A4%B1%A4%EB