What Do You Use?

teng.xiong

D200. A variety of lenses to suit the situation, but happiest with the results from the 70-200VR, the 60/2.8 Micro, the Sigma 10-20 HSM, the classic 50/1.8. Happiest when the only thing I'm <i>carrying</i> around is an 18-200, but there are compromises there. Have just started using a 30/1.4, and we'll see how that does in lower light for that "normal" focal length. So far, I like it a lot, but have to get used to that razor-thin DoF when it's wide open.

Primarily, D70 with 18-35 and a F100 with 18-35. Most on tripod.

In the future I would like to get a 18-135 or 18-200 for travel and a Sigma 10-20 for the digital camera. When the D2h (not hs) gets to $400 I may get one in a few years. I can use DX format for many years to come.

D200 and a D1x as (backup being retiring soon). F100 if I'm in the mood to shoot film.

17-55mm and 80-200 for most studio work and all wedding work.

105mm for macro work.

All the above plus 80-400mm, 400mm/2.8 or 500mm/4.0 for outdoor stuff, depending on the subject and situation. I've also got a 20mm prime and a 50mm prime I use occationally (mostly on bad scenic stuff).

I only use the big guns (the 400mm/2.8 and 500/4.0) when I'm setting up on a specific location to shoot (such as a bird blind, etc.) they're just too darn heavy and bulky to hike with (thats what the 80-400 is for).

I use a large format camera (4x5 field camera) for architectural photos and anything else I want maximum quality on. I use a Nikon DSLR for less demanding photos, and my night photos. I have sufficient lenses for both systems and an extensive portable lighting system.

Kent in SD

Two D70s bodies, one with a Nikon AF 24-85mm f/2.8-4 D Macro (1:2), the other with a

Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, a Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX. I'm planning

to replace the D70s bodies with D300 in the next year.

I shoot a variety of things with all the lenses. Tomorrow I'm shooting deli catering

platters. Check out my web site for samples:

http://www.kohanmike.com/photography.htm

Also , these sites contain many of my photos:

http://www.factorsdeli.com/

http://www.houroftheshipwreck.com/

Got my D80 in October and picked up the following (all Nikon products) since:

17-55mm 2.8 - Results are spectacular, I use it for over 80% of my shots. It?s

psychological but I just love the way this lens feels ? heavy and solid. I just love taking pics

with this lens, it brings out the best in me.

10mm 2.8 - Sharp and lots of fun fish eye, for special situations only. A good companion

to the above. I never know what I?m going to see through this lens ? it?s a blast.

70-300 non-vr (got it very cheap for kids' sports) will probably replace it with a VR zoom

at some point) This ?cheap ($80)? purchase was probably a mistake)

SB-600 flash with Gary Fong Lightsphere (a must). Still learning how to use the flash,

because my 2.8 at ISO 1000 perform so well, I rarely need more light.

Looking into the 50mm, just for the speed for indoor existing light for those times when

the 2.8?s just can?t cut it.

When I get the VR zoom and the 50mm, I?ll be set. Right now, I?m still learning. My first

camera (a HS graduation present from dad) was the Canon AE-1 Program, then the Nikon

7000i, so I?ve got a lot of catching up to do.

I use a Nikon EM for my Aurora Borealis Photography usually with my 50mm 1.4 and Fuji Velvia.

For indoor sports = D2x with 70-200 mm 2.8 v/r and D3 with 200 f/2 vr

Outdoor Sports = D3 200-400 f/4 vr and the d2x wears the 70-200 2.8 vr

Weddings = d2x wears my 17-55 2.8 and the D3 gets the 70-200 2.8vr SB 800's when applicable

Studio = I constantly change interchange lenses and cameras