FM2n - Best lens choices

b_n_f

I've owned and used all versions of the 50mm lenses. I agree with Lex (above) - look into the 50/2.0 AI lens. I think the sharpest lens of the four speeds is the 50/2.0 AI. If you don't need the extra speed, I'd look into this lens on the used market. I picked mine up for only $40 two years ago.

My ideal kit - and you have to decide on the 24 v. 28:

28/2.8 AIS

50/2.0 AI (or 1.8 AIS or 1.4 AIS)

105/2.5 AIS

Combined with the FM2N, what else do you need for the rest of your life?

I got my FM 2 in 1982; on a trip to Europe in 2005 it was my primary camera. It has been

in for a CLA only once since 1982. I now consider it to be a small SLR!

I vote for the 24mm 2.8; it is my favorite prime Nikkor. Plenty wide, relatively small and

you can obtain great "sun stars" at small apertures with little or nor apparent flare. The 2.0

lens is larger, more expensive and more prone to flare.

When I want to travel light with an SLR I'll go for the 24mm and a 50mm. I sold my 105

2.5 years ago when I got a mint 75-150 E; the zoom is more versatile, fast for its size and

very sharp indeed. Get the chrome aperture ring version; the earlier black version has a

less robust lens mount.

Firstly, my travel cameras are either FM's or FM2's (many variations).

Lenses range from the classic 3 lens combo (20/3.5, 50/1.4, 105/2.5) for general travel to a specific lens for the purpose (Vivitar Series 1 35-85/2.8 for air to air). Whatever you choose, do not carry more than you can run with.

• 1 month later...

Ok, my personal choice for a MF system is the FM2n body. To it i have the 3.5/20, 2.8/28,

just finishing a deal of a 1.2/50 and then i think to get an Tamron SP Macro 2.8/90 for it,

this one is perfect for both macro/nature/portraits. Which lens to go with depends on

mood and feeling. Since I work at sea i have very changing needs of gear and usually the

gear i had on last trip is changed to next, but i'm getting tired of the battery rumble with

power consuming AF bodies and the FM2n is just of perfect size and can take some hits

also.

Both wides are really nice, usually I have the 20mm with me, the newcomer 1.2/50 is great

for lowlight pictures, the soft images is something i like with this lens and at f2 its allready

sharper. The Tamron SP Macro to give a bit distance, is great for all-round travel and

occasional macros.

To the FM2n i want a Beattie screen also.

My "ultimate" travel gear seems to be consisting of:

FM2n body (ordered a Beattie to it), SB400 flash, 3.5/20, 1.2/50, going to buy a Tamron

SP Macro 2.8/90 (if you got one, give me buzz). This + films and accessories in a small

Domke/crumpler bag and Voilà i'm ready.

• 3 years later...
<p>I agree with Albert Smith. I as well like the smaller lens kit set up. The three lens kit I'm with now are the 24 F2.8, the 50 F1.4 and the 85 F1.8AFD. I may interchange the 85 for the 105 occasionally. What I like about these three lenses is that they all have SIC on the glass. All are late edition lenses. I've been lugging around the 17-35, the 80-200AFD and a 50mm as a three lens kit. I'm taking a break from that load for awhile. A long while! The shoulders aren't what they used to be. All are being used on a F2 Titan. A relatively light load. </p>