Which printer for home photos?

Wasn't too sure of the appropriate title.

I have a basic understanding of the different technologies:

subdye - good longevity not sure on image quality - havent' seen any output -

expensive and limited size

pigment - good image quality good logevity - bit expensive

dye ink - good image quality - can fade after 6 months or a year

--

What I do not understand (at all) is if there is a big difference between the 4

colour printers (ip4500 and similar) 6 colour printers (ip6700d) and 10 colour

printers (9500).

While I chose canon models above I also don't know if there is much difference

between canon/hp/epson or if they are all fairly equiavlent.

If the difference is very small I just assume go with ip4500/mp610 but if it is

quite obvious difference then I'm more than willing to spend as needed.

Also, I'm not sure if dye sub will be adequate or if I should go for pigment or

subdye. Longevity is a + but I *think* i've heard the image quality is generally

a bit lower with pigment and subdye.

I guess the point of this thread is if people could suggest some reasonable

models (I'm brand neutral) that can print up to 8x10 or 11x14. I suspect 8x10 is

good enough and I can use a lab for larger images.

It actually seems like canon does not have a pigment soloution ('cept 9500 pro)

so perhaps epson/hp if that is the route to take - other than longevity is there

much of a difference between pigment and dye ink ?

Just an idea....

Another thought, use an internet lab to do your printing, unless, of course, this is an area

you want to explore and is part of your artistic expression. Lots of internet sources

available. Find one close to your home/studio then you'll have less transit time or could

have someone pick them up for you.

I transmit my orders right from my studio! No running around for this old photographer

as there are only 24 hrs in each day.

Here is information on my last order from the lab I use and this is the norm for them:

1/09/08

10:40 am

Order Received

11:04 am

In Production

1:26 pm

Order Packaging

3:44 pm

Invoiced

7:25 pm

Shipped

I received the order at my studio door on 1/10/08

I've found that printing can really have an impact on an image. I've found a lab that

achieves my vision and I also have an associate photographer who has mastered the

printing process quite well.

It's a fascinating area but I would rather spend my time doing other things.

It's about choices, interests and what you want to do.

I hope this helps you.

Best to you in 2008!

It's certainly not a popular choice, but the Kodak 5100 all-in-one has done us well, and, despite being marketed as a low-end home printer, has held up well in our studio environment. We have Epson and HP printers, too, but the Kodaks (we have 2) are the current workhorses, cranking out proofs and sample prints every day. I don't know how well they scan or fax, I don't care. We've printed thousands of 4x6s and hundreds of 8x10s on each one. The quality is great, the prints match our monitors and the prints from the photo labs we work with. The 5xxx line is dirt-cheap right now, the ink prices are the best available, they've only met one paper they didn't like (Canon matte) and I can personally say their customer service is astonishingly good.

"What I do not understand (at all) is if there is a big difference between the 4 colour printers (ip4500 and similar) 6 colour printers (ip6700d) and 10 colour printers (9500)."

The continuous tone image you see on an inkjet print is an illusion. Under a microscope, the image is broken into dense bunches of ink spots of 4, 6 or more distinct colors (depending on the printer.) The eye does the integration, but a printer with more inks types is preferable because less interpolation is done. The result is a print with smoother and finer tonality.

For home printing, the lowest end photo class inkjets from Epson, Canon and HP are all excellent. The printers are so inexpensive because the margin is on the ink.

Yea I know about the 'dots'. But I am a bit confused with your answer. On the one hand you indicate that more inks are prefered because the results will be smoother but on the other hand 4 colours are sufficient for home printing.

I guess I should interpret this as there is a difference between 4 and 8 colours but most folks wouldn't notice it ?

--

Is that accurate ?

"there is a difference between 4 and 8 colours but most folks wouldn't notice it ? -- Is that accurate ?"

No. The print from a 4 color printer will be noticeably inferior. These printers are not intended for photography.

When I recommended the lowest end inkjets, I meant specifically the photo models. For Epson, this would be the R260 and not the C series.

I own the Canon 6700 ($150) and it does a totally professional job as regards image quality. But it is not considered archival. If you're wanting that, then the new Epson 1400 ($350), which can also handle 13" wide prints, is probably the biggest bang for the buck right now. The primary advantage of individual inks vs a cartrige is that when one color runs out you don't have to throw out the entire cartrige still filled with good ink.

I have recently purchased the Epson R-380 as a refurb unit from epson. My goals were similiar as yours, home use, up to 8x10 and send out larger size requirements, In addition, I wanted to get my feet wet in understanding color management and the print work-flow, using printer profiles, different paper selections, management of the end results. I was completely blown away as to the quality from the $75 dollar r-380 printer. Exceeded all of my expectations. The only down side that I can see, is the same for many printers are the inks are relative expensive, however, The R-380 uses 6 cartridges. I will forgo the ink expense for the quality. Someone mentioned the Epson 1400 in another thread, the R-380 is the same print engine as the 1400, both use the claria inks. The other think to keep in mind with photoprinters, including the epsons, are not the best suited for everyday document printing. I have kept my old HP 1220 workhorse for text printing.

You can also get the paper profiles for the epson r-380, r-390 international version, by using the R-1400 profiles, works the same on the both of the low end epsons I mention.

I use Cs-2 and Lightroom to print to the R-380 with excellent results.

Bob

I have the Canon iPF5000 which supports most of my printing needs. The larger (130ML) ink

tanks make it more economical for printing large quantities. Smaller inkjets are relatively

inexpensive, but the real cost is the ink. Most have very small and expensive ink tanks

making the cost per print very expensive.

I am contemplating the Epson Picturmate Zoom for just 4x6 prints. It is very highly rated and

the cost per print is 25 cents.