New Fuji?

roger hein

Great! I love my GSW690III, especially the 6x9 neg and super Fuji lens, and would

hope that they make another some day with (1) even wider lens, (2) through the

viewing lens restricted area light meter (a through the lens meter is nearly impossible

to conceive with lens shutter cameras) and (3) a quieter shutter (somewhat less

important).

Asking too much? Still, Fuji's commitment to film is praiseworthy.

It would be nice to have an interchangeable lens Fuji again, but that may not be on

the cards. The 6x7 or 6x9 format makes sense as Fuji is supporting 120 film users

and a relatively inexpensive auto/manual exposure camera would contribute to good

quality silver base photography where many others have gone digital to a high degree

(Hasselblad, Mamiya SD).

Perhaps it is the potential markets in Japan and China that are driving this. Love of

film is pretty strong there. Richard has a good speculation about Fuji perhaps taking

over the Bronica 645 RF. Hopefully it is not just a prototype showing, although that is

often usual, just as Mamiya did that with their RF before launching the 6.

I doubt it will be 645 since Hasselblad H1 is already made by them and there must have been an agreement to preclude them from competing in 645. Moreover there is already the GA645Zi. But then who knows, it might just be a modernized GA645.

<p align="justify">

<i>I hate being teased like this.... What's the purpose? So they can release it with dramatic flair at the show? What percentage of actual consumers visit the show? Why is this an effective marketing technique? JUST TELL US!</i><br>

<br>Haha, poor Derek. This is the marketing technique they aim at people's emotion. The more anger (read: impatience), the more people will closely follow the next news until it is revealed. The advantage of it is that now people really pay attention for the news and not just let it passes by of course. Great news from Fuji, though. Just curious what it will be.<p>

Don't take my comments too seriously. I work in 'marketing.'

They aren't making marketing and production decisions based on the comments of ten

people in a forum. If they want to know "what people are hoping for," there are less risky

ways to do so. They could easily have participants in forums like these, asking those types

of questions.

Yes, the extended 'tease' campaigns stimulate temporary, superficial interest. But they are

countered by greater detrimental effects. No one is suspending purchasing decisions

because of a piece of vaporware/prototype in an "obsolete" technology field. And, if this

camera isn't available for purchase very soon after the 'announcement,' the company's

reputation takes a hit. Sigma recently 'apologized' for not having its DP-1 ready, after

being announced in 2005. The Mamiya ZD back has left Mamiya customers disappointed

and frustrated for a year or so. Meanwhile, Apple and Canon do things the right way.

Well, I for one am hoping that MF cameras continue to be produced to ensure a steady supply of 220 film. After all, didn't Kodak produce the Brownie for the express purpose of boosting film sales? If they stop making them, it's just a matter of time before film will become a scarse commodity.

As far as my list for my dream folder, 65mm lens on 6 X 9 frame and a very sturdy door to protect the lens once folded. After all, I see this type of camera as a field camera which tends to get bumped around a lot. Don't need faster than F 4.0 for landscape work.

Mike

• 5 months later...