Nikon AH-4 use with D200

dan_k6

Does anybody use the AH-4 handstrap with the D200? I bought it but for some

reason it just does not feel right. I should note that I don't have the grip.

The camera feels secure on my hand but I can't move my wrist enough so that I

can navigate the thumb dial.

Is there a better hand strap you recommend. I use an RRS L bracket so I am

threading the strap through it.

The AH-4 is constructed very strangely in that it has a piece of Velcro that

wraps around your wrist but I feel the length of that piece of Velcro is too short.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update for anyone who reads this post. After lots of minuscule tweaking, I got the AH-4 to fit reasonably well with my D200. I do believe though that this strap will feel the best when you use a larger camera with a built in battery pack or simply adding a battery pack to another DSLR as the added height of the camera allows the hand strap to fit more comfortable around the back of your hand and wrist.

This hand strap is extremely secure and MUCH more convenient than a neck strap. You can shake your hand as much as you want but the camera will not fall out of your hand unless you release the velcro strap AND THEN pull the release tab. It's quite comfortable too once you break it in a little bit. I still don't know about $60 but it's one of a kind so you don't have much choice.

Again, for the best fit, just keep playing around with the length (in very tiny increments) and you'll find a setting that best fits your hand.

• 4 months later...
I just received my AH-4 today from BH Photo. I have a D300 with the MB-10 battery pack. The AH-4 actually does not fit well on the D300 without the battery pack. It tends to twist in use, as the "base stopper" does not seem to snug up against the camera back. However, I bought the handstrap primarily to use while the camera has the MB-10 battery pack mounted. Here I find the same problem that Daniel found. I cannot get the strap to reach all the way to the Velcro backing on the hand strap, no matter how I pull it. The Velcro on the back of the AH-4 is just too far away for the securing strap to reach. I would like to hear other comments on this as well.