Since I have been shooting Digital I have used Picasa. I have decided I wanted

to start taking full advantage of using Raw. I have downloaded ViewNX wanting

to learn this before purchasing Capture NX. First the instructions offered are

poor. Will it work better if I remove Picasa2. How do you get View to get the

pictures from the Multi-card reader. Is there a site that gives clear detail

instructions?

Transfer NX is just that, for transferring images from card to computer. If you transfer a group of images to a folder and open that folder in View, the edits you do in View will be saved to the NEF file (or View database?), and you can undo any of them. Your NEF file should stay unaltered. Only when you convert and save the image, such as to a TIFF or JPEG, will the edits be applied to the image. (I haven't used NX much, so someone else is sure to know more than I!)

I use mostly Lightroom now. It can be used to transfer images, edit images, manage images, etc. When I import and edit a NEF in Lightroom, the "instructions" for the edits are stored in a database or XMP sidecar file. Then, when I export the image as a TIFF or JPEG, the edits are applied to the image and become permanent.

View NX is a very basic RAW converter compared to Capture NX.

Tim, I recommend you download the 30 day trial for Nikon Capture NX and see how it works for your system. I have Nikon Capture NX and Photoshop CS3 and find Capture NX very slow compared to Photoshop.

You need to be aware that when processing RAW images that only software from the camera manfacturer will read all the in camera settings when processing the RAW file. Third party software only reads the white balance from the RAW file and uses default values for all other parameters (tone curve, sharpness, saturation, etc). This means when you first open the RAW file with the RAW converter the image from the third party software will probably not look like the JPG from the camera.