What's happened here

I decided this afternoon to calibrate my monitor, using Spyder 3 Elite. Once I

did that, all the images I call up in Photoshop look like the attached. This is

not an inverted (negative) image. If you invert it it get's weirder still. I

have uninstalled the Spyder software and reinstalled Photoshop. This phenomenon

isn't seen when I open a Tiff or Jpeg with Microsoft resident software.<div>00O4C6-41081984.thumb.jpg.b87362c1f6c1a85cf1136b6c6d5e163f.jpg</div>

Looked at your settings. I use the North American Prepress 2 color settings bundle and

then modify that to set the RGB working space to ProPhoto RGB. It's similar to your setting,

except for the sRGB colorspace setting and the policy checks ... I check all three so it asks

me prior to do a colorspace conversion.

I've seen this kind of 'extreme saturation' conversion happen when I open some, not all,

untagged, 8bit JPEGs from the web, presumably defaulting to a normal looking sRGB color

translation on someone's machine. I'm not sure what causes such a poor fidelity

conversion, but I find that if I open first with translation into Adobe RGB (1998), then go to

16bit@channel, then convert again to ProPhoto RGB, the saturation gain is minimized. It

doesn't happen to *all* JPEGs, only some, and I haven't figured out yet what the

differences in the JPEG files are.

(I use an Eye One Display 2 unit to calibrate and profile an Apple Cinema Display 23" on

Mac OS X. My calibration settings are 130 Luminance, 1.8 gamma and 5500K white point.

Seems to work fine with everything aside from the very occasional JPEG I find on the web.)

Godfrey

Thanks for your stab at it, Barry. Everything else on the desktop is normal. Web pictures are normal. My own Jpegs, called up with native Windows software, are fine. The same Jpegs, called up in Photoshop, are as I posted. It seems to be a problem within Photoshop, or so think I, but I can't figure the way out.