sensor problem or just dust? repost

john_smith232

Hi, I am looking at buying a used 1ds mk II. The owner kindly let me test the

camera. When I took the images home I found a small round spot on some of the

images (the spot was visible on any shot with an apeture narrower than f16).

This spot is a lighter value than the surrounding area. The size of the spot is

about the same as a speck of dust on a sensor. Am I wrong in thinking that

sensor dust is always darker than the surrounding area and that this spot must

be some kind of problem with the sensor? The camera has clocked up 40 000

shutter actuations.

Many thanks!<div>00O2Rf-41032484.jpg.288b9edc678ab638a2e9a32a9f0f7e61.jpg</div>

Those two spots look like some kind of lenticular effect, as if a water or oil droplet ended up on either the sensor or one of the elements of the lens. That is only shows up at F16 suggests the lens. Did you try to take some shots with another lens? If the spots showed up in the same places, it's the sensor. Otherwise, it's the lens.

This will require a wet clean as it is moisture of some kind.

I would have the original owner clean it unless he absolves you of responsibility in case it

gets screwed up.

I will guess he knows it is there and can`t get off himself, in which case you negotiate a

lower price based on a repair cost or forget it. 40x is too much anyway.

I've seen and cleaned many sensor spots, but those don't look like anything I've ever seen. I've never seen dust spots that show up with a white centre.

Liquid? What is liquid doing on the sensor surface?

The little spot in the second image just below the upper red circle looks like dust but the others really don't to me.

Not only have Canon clean the sensor, have them evaluate it - those white centred spots bother me. Sorry, that's just my feeling.

Incidentally, spots or dust on or in a lens rarely if ever show up on an image. One of the lenses I have is infamous as some copies suck dust in, but no one actually has seen spots on their images.

[[Liquid? What is liquid doing on the sensor surface?]]

Condensation from the air, Glenn.

Or, if you're a mouth-breather like me, you let some spittle get on your sensor the first time you cleaned it.

There is nothing wrong with the sensor, it just needs a cleaning.

I didn't realize that when the OP put his lens on (50 mm f/1.4) that he or the owner had taken the lens off, opened up the shutter (cleaning mode), and breathed on the sensor.

I have no idea how long it would take for a "do-drop" to evaporate. Incidentally, I've breathed gently on my sensor as a quick check to detect larger spots - they show up quite well, as will sensor swab tracks.

Or perhaps they were cleaning it and the OP just didn't mention that, and too much cleaning fluid was left on the sensor. My sensor fluid evaporates quite quickly, but then I've never spilled a drop on it.