best ink jet printer

Rob: A 24" wide printer (Epson 7800)to meet your 20"x30" max size will be around US$3,000 and weighs 131 pounds. A 17" wide printer (Epson 3800) is $1,300. 13" wide printers max out (Epson 2400) at $700, and 8.5" wide printers can be found in the $100- range. All these prices are from the Epson direct store.

I would not recommend a $3,000 printer for someone who is starting out. That's a lot to spend to potentially find out that it's not what you expected.

Spend $700 max and get a 2400. If you find out that this is everything you expect and find you really still need to print larger than 13x19, only then consider one of the larger models.

The Epson R2400 I picked up for $599 [refurbished by Epson] works like a charm. I've printed one roll-paper panorama so far and about thirty A3s and around forty A4s. I'm still only on my third load of ink, although Light Cyan and Light Magenta are at "low". It takes eight ink cartridges which you can get for around $11 per cartridge.

$599 for the printer, cables, drivers, software, necessary paper inserts, nine ink cartridges and free shipping is a STEAL. That's just $500 for a printer which prints up to 13" by 44".

I agonised over this very decision a couple of years ago. After reading many reviews and talking to a lot of people, I reached the conclusion that the Canon and HP offerings MIGHT be able to do the job, but I knew the Epson 7800 WOULD do the job (especially canvas prints).

I've never regretted my decision to go with the Epson for a second - VERY solid piece of machinery.