Nikon 105 micro 2.8 D

dan_k6

Interesting.

Would most of you go with this non VR as opposed to the new AF-S VR.

I already have a 70-200VR so the 105mm for portraits or action is not a concern for me.

Optically does the older D version produce the same sharp pictures?

Daniel,

A good place to check prices is KEH.com (also a good place to do business with, IMO). You may be able to get a little under their prices elsewhere, but for an idea of the used market price, I check them first. Looks like $450 on up depending on condition of the lens.

Good luck,

HWD

I have both the old 105 and the VR and I continue to use them both. I find the VR has faster autofocus in macro but the old lens is easier to use MF. I do miss the aperture ring as it allows faster changes. The VR lens has allowed me to track small moving macro such as insects, keeping them in focus and with steadier framing. I find both lenses give sharp results. The VR gives more working distance at 1:1.

I know the Nikkor is much more affordable than the Zeiss 100. But if you can spring the

extra 1k and can live without the AF, the Zeiss 100 ZF is a pretty amazing lens. I am just

starting to use it and find that focusing with it is so easy that I forget there are auto focus

lenses out there. I know it is expensive but it is a great portrait lens as well as a macro

with a 1:2 ratio. Some images here:

http://www.nikoncamerauser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25

http://www.nikoncamerauser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23

Check out the fred miranda site as well for good deal on the nikon lens. Often people will

sell them at a reasonable price there.