Bronica SQ A Lens Hood, Pro Lens Shade or nothing ?

fabien_seguin1

Hi everybody,

i bought my SQ A outfit with a Pro lens shade coming with it but I still didnt try it. Now I live abroad and

this lens shade is very far away...

So I was wandering if there was a really big differences between pictures shot with this pro lens shade

(especially for portraits) and pictures shot without anything. And what about the Lens hood ?

thanks for ur reply

and anyway thanks for this very RICH Bronica forum !

Fabien

The pro lens shade has three purposes. The first is to shade the lens from stray light which will reduce contrast.A lens hood will do just as well. Pro hoods also have a slot for drop in filters which can soften an image or change the light to a warmer shade. If you are a professional it is much faster than screwing on filters. The third use is to hold a vignetter on the front,to darken or lighten the edges of an image,or to hide part of the film, to permit double exposures.

No I think its a Photo.net issue which I don't know how to address. Twice yesterday I composed a rely to this thread and on both occasions a screen came up "we have a problem with your input "---etc and then "sorry, no more bile" . Neither response was remotely abrasive, and there was no questionable language. I just kind of assumed that it was a software glitsch- perhaps affecting just the one thread.

Anyway my input was to the effect that despite owning Bronica lens hoods and the pro lens shade I use neither, driven by restricted space, and that I use other, workaround techniques to successfully keep sun from outside the frame hitting the front element, provided the camera is on a trepod. Further, that whilst I do recognise that probably most serious photographers operate to the view that one should use a shade all the time, whilst my personal experience is that I losw very few shots to flare and my photographs well saturated, I didn't have a particularly strong incentive to change that view.