An interesting ancient camera: Kodak 3A special model A

Funny, I have one on my workbench right now. I fixed up the bellows (basically, stripped the outer layer and replaced it with Porter's black out cloth) and converted it to a 5.5"x2" camera. The conversion was simply making a film gate from brass, making little end adapters for the film reels, and make a new pressure plate.

I really wish that film was available, though. That would make a 3.5x5.5" negative on roll film.....large (enough) format for me!

Definitely a product of Eastman Kodak, made in Rochester. The Nagels are much newer cameras.

The Specials had the best lenses and shutters, and often exotic leather. That might be sealskin on that one. Or maybe Morrocan Calf.

Check out the Kodak catalogs at http://mgroleau.com/catalogues_kodak/index.html

3A is a neat film format. Even more fun if you have some rolls of Verichrome Pan VP122 in the film fridge...

I start to collect them now and find out model B special is better. I'm looking for someone who can replace bellows so I can order a "Rainbow set", interesting !!!. Mine comes with an excellent looking Zeiss lens but the lens has only one speed + B and T. Let see how the pictures comes out soon. Thanks for information John, and thanks everyone.

My father got one of these cameras when he arrived in this country. He must have bought it used, as it predated his arrival here (it was a red bellows version). I still have a few negatives (and many prints) of things he shot from about 1920-1958. I could tell that as the years wore on he forgot how to use it - the early pictures from the '20s and '30s were excellent, the later ones from the '50s pretty bad. It had an f/6.3 lens and one shutter speed IIRC and I wish I could find it, but it was put away fifteen years ago and not seen since.

Must be a run going on these things. I just received mine from the "bay" 2 days ago. Awesome cameras. 3 1/4 x 5 1/2 postcard format. According to McKeown's, they were built 1910-14. They were made with Persian Morocco leather. Mine has a B&L compound shutter spds 1-200, and the Zeiss Kodak Anistigmat 6.3 lens. As I was writing this, I just found out that the wheel to control the forward/ back movement pulls out for operation. One question is, since these are roll film cameras, how would you utilize the differnt movements since you can't look at a ground glass for focusing?

Wow,

I'd sure like to find one with the better lenses.MY 1A is so-so and my jiffy besides the leaky bellows is almost hardly usable.

Comment on Mark's comment about photo quality fall-off. What is it that causes this...expensive (precious film)suddenly more affordable therfore expendable?

LAck of interest? Lack of care (ie forgetting to be still, taking for granted the "camera" will deliver the quality and " you push the button" mentality? Film Speed? Excuse my ignorance but did the film speed change over the years? Effectively changing the assumed exposure? Or do the sunny conditions of youth give way to the "gray" of age? Whatever the reason, I've seen this with my own hands!

Minh,

Neat work with old formats ... keep it up!

I just realized that this camera can also take plate film. There must be a special back for this. I noticed that there are 2 distance gauges on the front board. The top one is hinged and it is for roll film and the other underneath it is for plates. Now I understand why the camera has all the movement settings! I wonder what the plate back looks like.

Chuck,

I think in my father's case, it was just that he used the camera a LOT when he first got here - I have about 150 photos of his that date from 1920-30, then his interest fell off after he got married and became a business owner. He didn't use the camera again (that I could tell) until about 1957. In the ensuing period, he seemed to have forgotten how to focus and set exposure. My guess is that his buying that Duaflex didn't help, either.

Yes, there is a "combination back" that takes plate holders, and a ground glass screen. Then you gotta find the film sheaths for the plate holders -- not a common size. Then cut down film. I've done it, almost certainly the first color film that 3A ever took. (Kodacolor was available in 122 for only a few years.)

here's my 3A. I still haven't actually shot any film with it. The film spools are cut down 122

spools soldered together. The supply side has the entire end of an ansco/agfa folder

epoxied into it. They have a cool little flip out mechanism. I'm thinking of covering the

"autographic" slot with rubylith and using that as the red window. if I use every other

number that will give me 60x120mm. They'll be some overlap as the gate is actually

140mm wide.

the lens is a 90mm WA Optar. I still need to make a focusing scale for this lens. I really

should get busy and finish this project!

autopano2

autopano1

• 1 year later...

<p>i have a 3A Special that i use quite often...it has the built-in rangefinder. my camera is in like-new ( mint ) condition and works great. its a perfect architechual camera & makes beautiful negitives. i mostly just make contack prints.<br />122 film can be obtained from " FILMFORCLASSICS.COM ".<br>

i am trying to get a combihation back for mine but havent had any luck so far.</p>